Fuel Line To Fuel Pump Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I have to buy a new fuel pump for the crate motor I put in the wagon due to the inlet/outlet locations on the GM pump.
Now that Ive looked up different brands I decided to go with the same Edelbrock I used on the 406 in the 81. Easy right ? Nope.
The fuel line is the original one that came in the car. Im assuming theres no return since theres only a single line poking through the oblong slot in the frame. Not sure what the previous owner had from the tank to the front of the car. Im planning on pulling the tank down on Monday with a friend of mine just to see whats there. I havent found a sender for a wagon on any sites so I guess theyre impossible to buy.
My question is what do you guys use from the factory metal line to the pump. No matter how the pump is clocked it looks like any hose will have to have a pretty tight bend. Even if I try to run it forward and loop it back. Any pictures of how it looks ?
I ran AN in the 81. I have it coming out of the same slot in the frame and that took a little tweeking and the right fitting to make it right.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I don't know if the senders are the same as the wagon to the el camino but i got one for mine from Dixie.
As far as your line/hose situation goes I used a hard line adapter from earls to go from stainless tube to the braided through the spring pocket to the pump. I think I ended up using a 120 degree fitting and clocking it.i think.i don't have any pics on my phone but I can scare one up this weekend if you'd like.

Reactions: 1 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
If you really really need the room and need better hose routing I'd suggest a different fuel pump. Some of the mechanical pumps you can "clock" or turn to a different position. My current pump has the inlet pointed forward. The hose makes a 180° bend ( looks like a U ) going to the hard-line. It's not a very long hose which is nice for safety. Got a picture?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If you really really need the room and need better hose routing I'd suggest a different fuel pump. Some of the mechanical pumps you can "clock" or turn to a different position. My current pump has the inlet pointed forward. The hose makes a 180° bend ( looks like a U ) going to the hard-line. It's not a very long hose which is nice for safety. Got a picture?

Can you post a photo of what you have ?

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Well, I am in the process of changing it all but I did my best to sketch what my setup was. I hope this helps any questions ask away. The supply line is 3/8"

Attachments

• IMG_20200911_140030.jpg
    IMG_20200911_140030.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 153

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I made a few of these out of some scrap 3/8 tube and a 3 step hand bender.
P1012243.JPG P1012244.JPG

Sorry for the grainy pictures, Uses about 5 1/2 inches of tubing, use a double flare tool to upset the tube end or if you have access to hose flare end forming equipment, flare both ends.
I use a 3 step hand bender and bend to about 100 degrees. This allows a short piece of 3/8 hose to connect to the main line then also to the fuel pump, still allows for the engine to move but eliminates the 100 degree bend that kinks with the rubber hose.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
May seem like a stupid question but Earls makes a tube to AN compression fitting. I know it can be used on aluminum tubing but will it work with steel ? Its a brass ferrule. I tried to call Earls tech support but they kept me on hold for over 20 minutes.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This is what I did on the 81. Snaked the AN through the original location to keep the line away from the header. It worked well and there was plenty of room towards the front for the outlet and fuel filter.

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

The GM pump is kinda strange. Inlet and outlet can be rotated but theyre in line.
IMG_0703.jpg

This pumps shot but a new Edelbrock is set up the same way. It can be clocked but the inlet and outlet will still be in the same positions. Sucks that they cant be spread apart.

IMG_0704.jpg

The fuel line has enough meat to put a fitting on but there doesnt look like theres much room to come off with an AN line. I also have the serpentine bracket right there so I might have an issue with the outlet depending where its positioned. I still have a Russell inline filter that goes in there. Looking at it makes me think its not going to fit well. Hate to drop over $140 on a pump thats not going to work.

IMG_0706.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor