Fuel Pick Up Sock

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm trying to find out the specs on the sock filter on the fuel pick up. It's recommended that I run a pre filter which should be 20- to 40-microns. I just had one pump fail prematurely so I am trying to cover all bases. I had the pick up out of the tank recently and the sock was in good shape with no garbage stuck to it so I thought I was good to go. I did read that there are fake Walbro pumps out there from China that you can buy for $50 so I might have had one of them. The pump I got with the kit is the same that comes with the Fast kit but may have been purchased on it's own, I'll find out once my friend gets home from vacation who I bought the kit from.

Would you guys run a pre filter or is the sock sufficient. I'm thinking the sock will do the job but I have been wrong in the past.....once.... :giggle:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd get an in tank pump sender, and, well,.........SEND IT.
The premature pump failure could have come from losing prime.

I plan to go that way in the future, I first wanted to test this system out to see how it works with the minimum cash input. I will be looking during the winter for a tank I can use but for now $100 for a new pump that takes a few minutes to install is the way I'm going for now I don't see how the pump would lose it's prime, the pump sits lower than the tank and I have not been lower then 1/2 full on the tank. I have put some miles on the car and it climbed a few times to 5000 rpm with no hesitation and I ran it for a few hours with no issues with the pump. Yesterday was the first day it gave me any problems. I removed that gas cap and there no sucking of air into the tank

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the reason I am enguiring about the sock is so I don't cause the pump to loose prime or work harder than it should with the gas being blocked by filter(s). If I do need a pre pump filter I would like to adjust the microns of the pre filter so it would work with the sock, that is if the sock lets too much stuff through....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd get an in tank pump sender, and, well,.........SEND IT.
The premature pump failure could have come from losing prime.

wouldn't you know it, I just got a line on this tank from a Grand National with a new pump....

$_59.PNG

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Use one of these instead.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Use one of these instead.

I won't need that with a tank from a GN plus that hydramat would cost at least $150 more than the GN tank with pump would cost me

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor