Fuel Pump Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowreap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2020
Hi guys, first time on the sub. I have a 78 grand prix that cranks but will not start. Lately the car has a hard cold start which I temporarily fixed using starting fluid. Now the car will now start at all. I replaced the fuel filter and attached a hose/container from the line and saw no fuel is pumping out when I crank the engine. Could this be a bad fuel pump or something worse? Also I have below a quarter tank of gas left. Currently have a 301 V8 engine and 2bbl Rochester carb

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
are you sure the gauge is accurate? I would put in 5 gallons just to cross that off the list.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

shadowreap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2020
I am sure the gauge is accurate. I'll pour fuel. Is it a good idea to check the lines for any possible kinks?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you said the car started before so unless you did something to kink the line I would be looking at the fuel pump if you're not out of gas

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Test the fuel pump with a vacuum gauge. Then you will know.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

shadowreap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2020
So I disconnected the fuel line to the carb and had a helper crank the engine. I felt the pulsating pressure which tells me the fuel pump is working? Ill pour some gas today and hope for the best

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
When did you put a new fuel tank in it?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So I disconnected the fuel line to the carb and had a helper crank the engine. I felt the pulsating pressure which tells me the fuel pump is working? Ill pour some gas today and hope for the best

that isn't the way to test a fuel pump..... :popcorn:

this is

Test the fuel pump with a vacuum gauge. Then you will know.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
In 1992, I bought a 1970 FM3 Moulin Rouge (Panther Pink) Plymouth Barracuda at the Ft Worth Texas Police Auction for $475. It would start on ether, but there wasn't any gas in the carb. Cops said I only had 2 days to get it out of the yard, so I rented a Tow Dolly.

Not wanting to drop the drive shaft and spill trans fluid all over the police impound yard, I jacked up the rear axle and speed backed my 1984 AMC Eagle tow car/tow dolly under it. Crash! The jack got knocked over just as the wheels dropped onto the dolly. perfect.

Towing the 23 miles back to my apartment with the car backwards limits me to about 30 mph max. because the idler arm was dead and reverse caster made the front tires tow out about 5 degrees, so it was a long drag home.

Once home, I dropped the tank - Rusty mud in the bottom on the tank and in the fuel lines, and the intank filter looks like it went away at least 10 years earlier.

That's a long story, but here is the math: 1992 - 1970 = 22 years.

2020 - 1978 = 42 years.

In the last 25 years Ethanol has become a thing and rusty mud in old fuel tanks has only become more widespread.

So I ask the next logical question:

When did you put a new fuel tank in it?

Reactions: 1 user

shadowreap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2020
So I poured 5 gallons down the tank and it didn't start up. Disconnected the inlet hose from the pump and connected a vacuum gauge and it did not leak vacuum. The gas tank has not been replaced. Any other suggestions? I don't smell fuel or see fuel leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor