Fuel Sensor Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama7

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2018
What is special about the stock fuel sending unit wiring harness used on my 1978 El Camino? I put new Equus Gauges in including the Gas Gauge. I got a new Sending Unit from Summit and I am ready to install it and wondered about the "special" wire used to send the info to the gauge. I checked the gauge and the sending unit while the unit was laying on my seat and it worked great. Can I use just a plane 18 to 20 gage wire to send the info to the fuel gauge instead of the factory harness? If not please tell me what the factory harness actually does. Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not sure what wiring they used in the El Camino but on the G body the wire harness from the connection in the trunk to the fuse box is aluminum. I have a problem with the aluminum wiring in the harness so I ran my own pink 18 gauge wire from the trunk to the gauge bypassing the pink aluminum wire.

bama7

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2018
Summit sells the harness, Wiring Harness Fuel Sending Unit OPG #41860, 1978-82 El Camino. When I put in new gauges I did not use any of the existing wiring used in the OEM plug in gauges. I made my own harness because I cannot get to the back of the plastic housing where the printed circuit is. I am hoping I can just go from the sending unit to my new gauge with a normal copper wire. Here is a shot of my new lighted gauges. I bought a GPS operated speedometer so I did not have to hassle with the cable and the different gears for the tires and such.

Attachments

• 20180322_174255.jpg
    20180322_174255.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 181
Last edited:

bama7

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2018
Maybe I should ask my question a little differently. Are there any resistors or diodes, or other things, in the harness or is it just a normal copper wire with special rubber boots to protect from the elements?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it is just a wire, if not I would have mentioned it in my other post

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

bama7

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2018
Sorry I did not pickup on that point. The more I thought about the wire the more convinced I became it was just a wire. Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sorry I did not pickup on that point. The more I thought about the wire the more convinced I became it was just a wire. Thanks

is the wiring aluminum in the harness that goes from the back to front in an El Camino?

bama7

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2018
I will cut the wire to splice in a new one sometime on Monday and I will let you know then. I just got the tank out and installed the new sensor. I am trying to find some jack stands to make it easier to install. I also need to get some new bolts, nuts, spray undercoating, padding for the straps, and fuel hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor