fuel setup for carbed LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiths86cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2016
I got a few questions about how I want to set up my fuel system. Ok so I plan on running a GN tank with the following parts I have in this screen shot and I have a 1986 Cutlass with the 307.
1st question is does the factory wiring harness that operates my fuel sender now be able turn on the new fuel pump when I turn the key on or would I need to fabricate a new harness for it?
2nd question is the electric fuel pump Id be running to a low pressure regulator work or would I need a different setup?
3rd question is I plan on going to a Fitech in the future, would it be a simple as switching over the fuel regulator to a high pressure unit or??
and the last question is where would the best place to be to run my fuel filter with return back to the tank with this being a carbed setup.
Any help or ideas are appreciated.
upload_2017-6-25_22-15-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-25_22-4-24.png
    upload_2017-6-25_22-4-24.png
    254 KB · Views: 236

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
There are alot of variables here that may cause you to spend more $$$ than needed. The LS harness would have a relay on the fuel pump and you SHOULD be able to tap into the wiring for it to run.
You definitely want the filter(s) as close to the pump as possible to prevent junk from making it too far through the system.
To avoid buying 2 different regulators, if you are dead set on efi...i would look at their instructions for the fuel system and build it accordingly, save for the efi instead of running a carb, then switching.

Obviously a carb only needs around 7psi to operate, where as the efi is 50psi+ depending on the system. That being said, a return for the carb is important since the pump is pushing more fuel than needed. Without a return comes the issue of fuel getting hot and possibly the good ole vapor lock problem.

There us probably something I'm forgetting, but others should chime in at some point.

Btw, let's see some pics of the cutlass & LS powerplant!!!

Reactions: 1 users

smiths86cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2016
I got about 3700 in everything as it sits now, car, LS motor, wheels, intake, MSD box, carb, GN 3.42 posi rear and headers. Shopping for a transmission then the swap begins.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I got about 3700 in everything as it sits now, car, LS motor, wheels, intake, MSD box, carb, GN 3.42 posi rear and headers. Shopping for a transmission then the swap begins.
Shoot, you're doing well only having that much tied up! What motor do you have? They all look alike from the outside.

What trans do you currently have? I sold off my TCI 350 due to boost coming into the equation on my swap....i will hunt down a 4l80e. I miss overdrive, and the 4l80 can take some serious abuse with a few upgraded parts.

Reactions: 3 users

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
If you start with carb you can get what ever pump your intended efi set up will require, then get a low pressure fuel pressure regulator with a return by the carb, Must have a return! inline filter close to the tank as possible, like Injectedcutty said. I ran a set up like that on a turbo carb car for a while. It works. As for the harness not sure if there will be any wiring for a fuel pump. I want to say no actually. Later on when you swap to efi then you can get a different regulator filter in one with built in return like GM uses and put it where the filter you install now.
Nice cutlass BTW

• Agree

smiths86cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2016
I have a 2001 5.3 with a Edelbrock dual plane, msd 6014 and edelbrock 750, speed engineering headers are on the way, have the parts to do the rear disk brake swap from a camaro, going soon to get the blazer front spindles and brakes. I have a 200r4 in it and looking at a aftermarket performance rebuilt unit to go back in its place. Still need a oil pan, fuel tank and related parts....on pace to have everything done for around 7k

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor