Fuel system issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
86 cutlass supreme with olds 355 rocket im running a edelbrock avs2 1906 650cfm electric choke with spread bore to square bore aluminum spacer and I started having issues with fuel draining back to the tank didnt have any issues with that for the first year of having the carb on and since then its extremely hard to get started after sitting for a few days or after I fill the fuel tank and when I shut the engine off for 5 min and go to restart I have to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor to get restarted.
Should I switch to a holley setup not sure if it would be easier to tune

Attachments

• 20200602_203015.jpg
    20200602_203015.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Running an electric or mechanical fuel pump?

Sounds like the float is out of adjustment or the needle is damaged or blocked with debris. If the charcoal cannister is full of fuel you will have to address that too after you solve the float issue.

Edit:

Was downloading something earlier so the Pic you posted was taking to long to load and not working.

I see the mechanical fuel pump so I revise the question. Running an electric fuel pump with the mechanical?

I don't see a fuel filter though it could be under the air cleaner. Does it have a fuel filter?

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Switching to a Holley is not going to resolve your issues.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
86 cutlass supreme with olds 355 rocket im running a edelbrock avs2 1906 650cfm electric choke with spread bore to square bore aluminum spacer and I started having issues with fuel draining back to the tank didnt have any issues with that for the first year of having the carb on and since then its extremely hard to get started after sitting for a few days or after I fill the fuel tank and when I shut the engine off for 5 min and go to restart I have to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor to get restarted.
Should I switch to a holley setup not sure if it would be easier to tune
I would try seeing first if it is a fuel issue or not.

It could be a fuel filter, a pump, or maybe even something different like a wild vacuum leak.

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
When the fuel drains back to the tank i have to pressurize the fuel tank to get fuel back up to the carb

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Look for leaks in the fuel line between tank and pump especially the rubber on the tank and fuel pump end.

Thinking about it more The leak in the fuel line is likely in the rubber hose between the steel fuel line and the fuel pump, Likely the pressure from using compressed air to push the fuel up to the fuel pump increased the fuel pressure enough to bend the float.

Last edited:

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
I dont believe the float would be bent because I have to blow air from the carb inlet hose back to pressurize the tank and it will flow up to the carb and the q-jet was in poor condition and probably not big enough cfm

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
When the fuel drains back to the tank i have to pressurize the fuel tank to get fuel back up to the carb
You should never, ever, ever have to pressurize the tank to get fuel to the carb. Ever.

Even on a completely dry fuel system, new tank, new hoses, new mechanical pump, all you would ever need to do is keep cranking the car and pumping the pedal some before it starts.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor