Fuel system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber24

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2016
We run a stock tank with a welded in sump. It works pretty well until it's at 1/4-1/3 tank and you want t go around a corner at WOT. Have to keep it over a 1/2 tank to really play with it.

We are running 2 Bosch 044's. The 1st one will handle 400 WHP with it's eyes closed. With the 2nd pump on at full pressure I'm sure we could safely hit 800WHP. At the present,we stick between 650-700whp.
That's not all bad then. I dont plan to make corners fast just a straight line and every once in a great while cruise short distances

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
New tanks are still out there. You may also be able to fit a cube fuel cell, just have to rig a filler neck.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
For 1000+ multiple pumps are good but those new cable driven mechanical pumps are a good option too.

1/2 feed and return minimum, MIGHT get away with doing 3/8 return but if you are running all new line just go 1/2.

If it's a drag week or street car where you need the trunk space you can sump the stock tank but if its a drag only car just put a fuel cell in and not worry about the flow restriction through a stock fuel sender or getting leaks on a sump.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
That aeromotive piece is pretty sweet but won't support the power you're looking for. Need twin 450 in tank for that. Motorheadmike worked over his wagon tank and it came out nice. Have to sort through his thread to find tank specific stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yeah, twin 450s minimum. -10AN feed and at least a -6AN return (more biggerer if you don't stage your pumps), quality adjustable regulator, and good electrics. Both of my threads have concepts - links in the signature.

Don't be too much of a cheapskate.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If the Aeromotive pump will handle 800WHP boosted I'll eat my shorts. I've seen their pumps in action - they are overrated.

If you want to go in the tank, then the Walbro twin 450 or AEM 380's, if you want to go external, then the Bosch 044's.

It really comes down to how much HP you intend to make and fuel. If you ever plan to run corn, then plan accordingly in terms of pumps and line size.

Mike mentioned it - don't cheap out on the fuel system. It has to be bulletproof if you have any love for your motor(s) at all. 14:1 at 15+ psi happens once - if your lucky.

Bomber24

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2016
I agree my plan is to run e85. I've heard a lot about the aeromotive pumps, a friend that runs a sbc big on them I told him "i think I'll run out of fuel". I'm going go ahead and look more into motorheadmikes and run 2 450s

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I saw a guy fit an 8 gallon fuel cell in the spare tire hatch . All plumbing and fuel pump under the car. I'm using an Astro van TBI sender with a Aem intank pump and a Holley HydraMat sock. Its not running yet but I expect to need to keep at least a half a tank for hard launches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor