fuel tank dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tc77

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2018
I removed my tank and the top of it looks like Swiss cheese. So I am thinking on putting a fuel cell in but I want to keep it under the car. I am looking for the outside dimensions of the tank. Has any one done this if so what tank did you use. I want to use at least a 17 gallon tank or bigger. Any help is appreciated.

BobinHSV

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
The simple fix is to use a tank that will never rust. A late model Buick Roadmaster SW or Caprice SW tank is a bolt in for the El Camino. I run a FiTech Fuel Injection system and bought a $45 Buick SW tank, bought new sender/fuel pump for 1996 (hi pressure pump) from Rock Auto for $89. Original straps work, but I bought new ones from Rock Auto for $60. Buick/Caprise tanks have a baffled area to insure fuel flow under all conditions. You have to modify the fuel filler from the Buick/Caprise to hook up to tank. The Buick/Caprise tanks have a 3/4" vent hose and the problems filling the El Camino tank are gone. Tank holds 23 gallons and weighs about half the weight of the metal tank. Anyone converting to any hi press fuel system or LS swap should use this set up. All factory equipment for less than $200. My next mod on my EkCo is a LS3 with a 6L80E trans. Only fuel system change is to remove the return line and install a Corvette fuel filter/regulator at the tank. A short return line runs from the filter/reg back to the tank return.

Reactions: 1 users

BobinHSV

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Always wonder why with everything they can repop in plastic why not do our fuel tanks?
These tanks are made using the "Roto-Cast" method of producing large plastic items that can not be economically produced by other means. A mold is built with the correct outside profile and any exterior detail needed. The mold is mounted on the arm of a Roto-Mold machine. The mold is heated to a temp to melt plastic beads poured into the mold. The mold is rotated in a specific pattern and speed to all of the plastic beads to coat the interior of the mold to a specific desired wall thickness. This produces a perfect replica of the mold with predictible wall thickness. Inspection is done using ultra sound, non-destructive measurement. If the item meets spec, it is passed to final clean up and packaging, If not, the detective part is ground into plastic beads and use to make the next item. There is almost no waste with this process. Unfortunately, the machine and molds are very expensive and low volume production is not economically feasible. El Camino owners should buy up all of the Roadmaster/Caprise SW tanks they can find. They are not available new.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor