Fuel Tank replacement suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
I purchased a fuel tank for my 1980 Monte Carlo from Quanta back in 2010. I installed the tank just last year after the car turned into a major restoration. Since then, every time I fuel up at the gas station I get large amounts of fuel spraying back out of the fuel neck. The fuel pump nozzle will not shut off automatically. I have learned that there is a common problem with aftermarket fuel tanks and a bad filler neck design. I would like some advice on an aftermarket fuel tank with great reviews and no more spewing fuel during filling. I was leading towards a tank from Napa. Never had issues with products from Napa, but then again I never purchased a tank from Napa. Thanks in advance!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm not sure that I necessarily believe the "it's a bad design" blame game for all cases of splash back when fueling.

My 77 c10 is on the original tank/neck/etc and it does it. Has more to do with changes in gas pumps and nozzles since things were new.

Now, as far as best quality in tanks, I can't say for 1980, but in the mid 80s spectra premium was at least a, if not the, OE supplier for gm when the cars were built. And they still make many of their tanks in Canada, although some stuff is in China.

That's what I use.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not sure that I necessarily believe the "it's a bad design" blame game for all cases of splash back when fueling.

My 77 c10 is on the original tank/neck/etc and it does it. Has more to do with changes in gas pumps and nozzles since things were new.

Now, as far as best quality in tanks, I can't say for 1980, but in the mid 80s spectra premium was at least a, if not the, OE supplier for gm when the cars were built. And they still make many of their tanks in Canada, although some stuff is in China.

That's what I use.

I am going on what I found. GM makes an aftermarket filler neck to solve fuel spray problems. I have had many Gbody cars and never had this issue. So at this point, replacement is probably my only fix. Just hoping to find someone here who had replaced their tank with no fuel spray problems. I will go with that supplier of fuel tanks.

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
In my 79 monte that I bought last August does the same thing. The previous owner put a new tank in but not sure of brand. I try to put gas in as slow as I can and it still splashes out:mad:. I know I don't like it! The 79 I had in the late 90's definitely did not have this problem.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
In my 79 monte that I bought last August does the same thing. The previous owner put a new tank in but not sure of brand. I try to put gas in as slow as I can and it still splashes out:mad:. I know I don't like it! The 79 I had in the late 90's definitely did not have this problem.
I am pretty convinced about the design of the filler neck. I am ready to throw down $200 for a new tank without these issues. With the money I am losing in spilled gas, I would be ahead in a few months. I have a 383 stroker pumping out 462 HP with a fresh paint job and spilling gas everywhere is totally unexceptable! I am sure someone somewhere has bought a replacement tank that works better then OEM.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
The filler neck was a bad design on the replacement tanks. The ones that do fill right are few and far between. Stock filler necks are the way to go if you can find someone to swap it from your old tank to the new one.

My stock tank fills great. When I get to the point of replacing it with the replacement GN tank, it will will be ordered without a filler neck and I will swap mine over to it. Problem solved.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Huh, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I attributed it to listening to some dumbass bystander while I was installing my new Spectra. I have to fill it super slow to keep the pump from kicking off. The Spectra in my 67 Olds doesn't have the same issue.....

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
The filler neck was a bad design on the replacement tanks. The ones that do fill right are few and far between. Stock filler necks are the way to go if you can find someone to swap it from your old tank to the new one.

My stock tank fills great. When I get to the point of replacing it with the replacement GN tank, it will will be ordered without a filler neck and I will swap mine over to it. Problem solved.
It seems like a difficult task to swap out the filler neck from the tank. Seems like a solid unit. The one peice design gives the filler neck support. Not sure how you could separate the two.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
Huh, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I attributed it to listening to some dumbass bystander while I was installing my new Spectra. I have to fill it super slow to keep the pump from kicking off. The Spectra in my 67 Olds doesn't have the same issue.....
A spectra tank doesn't have this issue?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
When you do get your new tank clean it and cover it with a good material to stop it from rusting. My spectra tank started leaking at the seam in the 3rd summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor