Fuel Tank Vent Update 11/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im planning on starting my 81 this coming week. FINALLY !!
Ive got a couple of things left to do. One of them is to put gas in the tank. Back in August I started a thread about the tank vent. Only had a single reply. I searched the threads last night and I figured I would just buy one of these, mount it by the filler neck and move on to the next task.
I have some questions though. If I use this Ive read it has to be higher or as high as the top of the neck. That shouldnt be an issue. But what about the rubber line going to it ? Flat across the top of the tank ? I assumed the vent line needed to have a vertical coil to keep the gas from sloshing out if the tanks full and you go around a turn. Not correct ? And if I use the vent shown, no gas fumes at all ??? Ive got a detached garage but its heated with a ceiling mounted propane heater. Fumes wouldnt be a good thing. I dont even keep gas cans inside my garage.

The other question I need an answer for is how long is the throttle cable for a V8 car ? Ive got a bunch of cables out in the garage. The one on the car now seems like its too long. I looked on rockauto and they show two different lengths. The other thing I found out is one cable has a 1/4" hole at the carb, the other has a 7/32" hole. Im hooking it up to a Holley 4150. Anyone ?

Attachments

• hly-19-174_ml.jpg
    hly-19-174_ml.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 340
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
BTW, Im probably going to drop the tank on Monday. Need to have my buddy come over and do it since I wont be able to get under the car too well. Its been so long I dont remember how I set the sender up. I dont remember if its got 2 lines or 3.
Since I have a Carter pump with no return should I just get a 2 line sender or stick with the 3 and leave the return capped ? Im 99.9% sure I capped it before I put it up but its been so long I need to make sure.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I recently installed a new tank in my Regal and used that vent but mounted mine directly off the vent hose in the back and I plugged my return since I am running a carb set up.
The vent works well with no gas smell and both my Monte and Regal are in a detached heated garage but I have a wall furnace so the heat comes from the bottom.
Also with this set up when I filled it up my tank the gas pump nozzle didn't kick off like my factory tank would do.
20191006_173755_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Under the license plate and mounted to the body via a small angle bracket. Above the filler neck and outside of the body so any fumes aren't under the car. You can fill the tank to the top as fast as possible with no fuel handle kick outs. The rubber line is between tank and body. Once tank is tightened down and prior to hooking the hose to the vent, blow some air through the hose to confirm that it isn't pinched closed anywhere. The valve will allow air in normally, and will 'burp' air out as tank pressure raises. If there were a rollover, the vent shuts off.

Fuel tank vent.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Under the license plate and mounted to the body via a small angle bracket. Above the filler neck and outside of the body so any fumes aren't under the car. You can fill the tank to the top as fast as possible with no fuel handle kick outs. The rubber line is between tank and body. Once tank is tightened down and prior to hooking the hose to the vent, blow some air through the hose to confirm that it isn't pinched closed anywhere. The valve will allow air in normally, and will 'burp' air out as tank pressure raises. If there were a rollover, the vent shuts off.

View attachment 128525

555bbchevy says he gets no fumes at all. How about you ? Anything outside of the car ? My concern is having it in my garage. And what about getting a 2 line setup instead of a 3 if thats what I have ?

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
No fumes in my garage. If your garage temp fluctuated wildly the vent would belch every once in a while. I have a return line that is blocked off for the time being.

I think that you'll like it and have no issues at all.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Oh, and my car came with a V6 and I sure wish that my throttle cable were about an inch longer.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
No fumes in my garage. If your garage temp fluctuated wildly the vent would belch every once in a while. I have a return line that is blocked off for the time being.

I think that you'll like it and have no issues at all.

Thanks for the info !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor