functional hood scoop + exposed air filter + rain = trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Soon I'll install my big block 454 in my car. Thanks to my Performer RPM AirGap intake manifold, I'm pretty certain I will need to cut a hole in my hood to clear my air filter. I'm totally fine with this. I don't plan to run any sort of enclosed air cleaner; I'll just have an exposed filter. I'll probably build some sort of oddball hood scoop a la the General Mayhem and let 'er rip. Easy.

But the other day a thought hit me: what about driving in the rain? If/when I do, rain water would undoubtedly get inside the engine bay... which would obviously soak my exposed paper air filter. Will this cause me any trouble? I've never run an exposed air filter on any car ever, so I've never experienced this before. Can any of you share your experience in this area?

Just wondering if I need to change my strategy.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
You definitely want to avoid rain hitting the filter directly if at all possible! Obviously, rain will get in where it wants to, but if it were to get through the filter and into the carb that can cause some obvious issues!!!
K&N makes a filter "sock" i believe to help with moisture but if i recall it says to avoid being saturated. Either run a cowl hood, or a snorkel style that would keep water away from the filter/carb area.
Just my 2 cents.
Scott

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought this bolt on fiberglass hood scoop that I will eventually get mounted to my Regal hood to give me some extra clearance since I didn't want the expense or hassle of trying to get a steel cowl hood shipped to me undamaged.

Reactions: 1 user

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I bought this bolt on fiberglass hood scoop that I will eventually get mounted to my Regal hood to give me some extra clearance

Hmm. Questions:

1. Is it functional?
2. Where did you buy it?

Maybe I'll look into a similar bolt-on rear-facing scoop instead of a forward-facing one.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Hmm. Questions:
1. Is it functional?
2. Where did you buy it?
Maybe I'll look into a similar bolt-on rear-facing scoop instead of a forward-facing one.

I bought it from Lauren Engineering for around $200 you could probably find something cheaper or even in plastic but I have used their stuff with no issues.
It bolts on and can be made functional, it comes closed in the back so I will probably open mine up after I cut the hole and get ready to mount it.

driver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2013
if a hole is cut in the hood do you need to put reenforcements in the hood?
please explane.
planning the same

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It finds a way in there with a functional scoop. Mine is from a newer Mustang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor