funky hei

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
my 1980 old cutlass calais has a 350 engine in it and the hei has a 5 terminal module i guess the extra terminal is for a vacume sensor to adjust timing as needed by the engine. i have had an electrical issues with the car but most is fixed now and the car runs but i had to disconnect most of the emmissions. most of the vacum parts were melted and it has a persistant miss and no fusable links. can i put a different ign module in this car or does it have to be this funky one?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Do you have an electronic carb? Does distributor have a vacuum advance? Is computer hooked up or does it have one. 1980 was starting year for computerized emission systems. Early ones did not have. Later 1980 did. You may be able to go with 4 pin module (Which is what I have)but may have to replace harness in distributor or whole distributor

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would install the fusible links, they are there for a good purpose. Have you done a compression test on the engine?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I believe if the fifth terminal is grounded, it retards the timing 10 degrees. I ran mine for years with only the 4 pins hooked up, just works like a regular HEI.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I do not remember on the 5th terminal. It may be for spark advance retard like mentioned from RSP above. Go back to basics and fix miss first and by all means fix the fusible links.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
How bad is the miss? Just had a kid at work with a 350sbc in a 71 C10 develope a suspected miss that turned out to be a cam lobe.

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
I will try to run it without the fifth terminal to see what happens. I put new wires and cap and rotors on and I think new plugs, I had to get a new carb since the old one was overheated and warped the base plate. It runs and moves just not as well as it should because I still have electrical issues and vacuum hoses bypassed,but it was free,yeah.

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
just a slight miss. i am trying to fix the interior right now. the interior wiring is messed up and the t top wasn't sealed tight, it is now though just need carpeting and a headliner and door covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor