Funny looking torque converter snout

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
This is a Hughes gm-20 torque converter for a th350. I’m dealing with a blown out thrust bearing. I checked the fit today and noticed when i mount the converter to the pads this nipple is hitting the brass pilot bushing in the crank. I double checked my converter spacing when installing the trans and it is with 1/8-3/16” fully seated in the trans. My question is has anyone ever seen this nipple on a torque converter, all my research has shown they are typically flat on the face. I am waiting a response from Hughes. 6776778F-A982-425A-A4B7-377AA7AE481C.jpeg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Shouldn't be a pilot bushing in the crank if you're using an automatic. needs to be removed

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Shouldn't be a pilot bushing in the crank if you're using an automatic. needs to be removed
Most definitely, I honestly didn't see it 4 years ago when I installed the motor. and during the fit up at that time and still the torque converter will slide all the way up to the flex plate. I guess that is part of the fun with these old cars, you learn something new everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor