Fuse box swap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DysonSS

Greasemonkey
Feb 26, 2017
Littleton NH
I just recently picked up a 1985 monte Carlo cl shell to use in place of my 83 ss shell because the 83 was rotted badly. The fuse box bulkhead connectors have been cut on the 85, so I figured I could just use the harnesses from the 83. Well the connectors are different so my question is can I just swap out the fuse box and bulkhead harness from the 83 or will I have to swap all the harnesses I.e. the dash and tail lights?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
You're going to gut that rotten '83 body so use all it's wires. Just keep everything wired as the '83 so there is no confusion on harnesses. Some of the '85 smaller harnesses are the same so keep them as spares. The ones that are different with either different type of connectors like the bulkhead or wires are pinned in different locations in the pigtails can be used to cut up or traded/sold.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You can buy the male and female connectors that are in the bulkhead connector if you need them. They come in two different sizes. Theres Packard 56 and Packard 59. The difference is in the width of the spade. If you get them get male and female.
I got mine from here. http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/_packard_terminals.asp

Instead of splicing wires all over under the hood I ran new from one end to the other. I aslo wound up buying the right crimper. It makes it real easy and the connections come out like factory.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Does anyone know if this was a change across the entire line of GBodys? If so, what year did the change happen? I will be doing a wire harness and fuse box swap . Putting a 1980 fuse box and harness into a 1978. I will be using most of the entire harness from the 1980, but was hoping to use the 1978 engine harness.

DysonSS

Greasemonkey
Feb 26, 2017
Littleton NH
From what I found searching the forums last night was that 1985 was the year that GM change the wiring.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Thanks Joshua. Looks like I will be ok

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It was an "upgrade/modernization" done across the line. Some harness pigtails were even repinned for some odd reason.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

DysonSS

Greasemonkey
Feb 26, 2017
Littleton NH
I ended up finding the correct harnesses from a guy in Road Island who has a massive stockpile of G-Body parts. $35 for the light harness and $45 for the engine harness. $15 to ship. Not bad saves me a lot of time which is hard for me to come by.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor