Fuse instead of circuit breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys I will be running an electric water pump in my LT1 Malibu. The pump came with a wiring kit.

I am wondering if I can substitute the circuit breaker for a fuse, and if so what size fuse.

The circuit breaker is 30A
(( BUSS CBC-30B 12V E41 30A ))

Reason being is I am using a small universal fuse block to tidy things up for my two fans, wp, and fp, and this way have fuse protection and also only one connection to battery positive.

Attached are included instructions

Attachments

• C0CC1399-34AB-4E1E-8D72-C911FBCF91BE.jpeg
    C0CC1399-34AB-4E1E-8D72-C911FBCF91BE.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 65

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Substituting for a fuse is fine, just get one thats rated the same as the circuit breaker(obviously) and you're golden.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Awesome thanks guys.
So here's this aspect..

Circuit Breaker you can reset on the spot, fuse you'll have to put a new one in if it pops.
Yeah this one doesnt have a reset so i am guessing its an auto reset. I think the downside of this is it "masks" an underlying issue such as a short circuiting wire. I think I like the idea of a fuse over circuit breaker but I am no expert by any means.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
A fuse protects against electrical overloads while circuit breakers protect against overloads and short circuits. However, fuses act faster to save sensitive electronics than breakers.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I'm using the CBs on my e-fans, and e-fuel pump to power the relays. I gather by your comment on cleaning up the wiring that you have taken your time and wired everything correctly and you aren't going to get fireworks/flying sparks! I also used a junction block to feed all the power wires, running only 1 wire to the battery. It is hidden inside the fender out of sight. Fuses are ok, just decide mini or old size. Use the same amp rating as the CBs you are replacing.

Attachments

• PumpRelay (10).jpg
    PumpRelay (10).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Fan7.jpg
    Fan7.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor