Fusible Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im sure most of you folks reading this have seen the build threads on my cars.
I redid all the wiring on the 81 to be close to what it was from the factory under the hood with some improvements. Used the right connectors at the bulkhead connector, tried to get the same color wire or close to it if it was possible. Lots of soldering and shrink tubing.
Now, after reading posts on FB groups and talking to other people I have a question. Do you really need the fusible links at the starter ? Some folks say theyre just a waste of time and can cause a fire. I know guys that have run solid wires to the starter without them. Im using 12GA wire from the bulkhead to the starter. The two links are 16GA which from what Ive seen and read is correct for the gauge wire. I read its supposed to be 2 gauge sizes smaller that the wire its protecting.
How many of you guys did away with the fusible links in your harnesses ?
Im asking because I still have to wire the engine in the wagon.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
You could remove them and ad a in line blade fuse at a much more desirable location , they are a real PITA when they blow out and difficult to get to in a parking lot ! Dont know how those GM engineers did it , but i believe they designed them to go out there [ parking lot ] ! LOL

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I changed mine out for MAXI Fuses. Depending on the circuit you are going to need 40-60A fuses and properly sized wires.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
They are there because you need them. More tolerant of voltage surges. Length is very important and critical. Fusible link is cheaper then a car or a wiring harness

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This is what it looks like. Both links go to the red 12GA wires to the bulkhead. At the time I couldnt find purple 12GA so I used the blue. I measured the original fusible link wire from the plastic barrel and made it the same length. Then I used uninsulated butt connectors, crimped them and covered them with marine shrink tubing. Think this is good enough ?
Im started to second guess what I did. Not good.

IMG_2172 (002).JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Back in the day, we used to remove the fusible link when converting from points distributors to HEI because the fusible link would fry from the extra load and the car would not start. We used to graft in a regular piece of wire and go on about our business. With what I now know, I would definitely put fuses in line.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Nice
This is what it looks like. Both links go to the red 12GA wires to the bulkhead. At the time I couldnt find purple 12GA so I used the blue. I measured the original fusible link wire from the plastic barrel and made it the same length. Then I used uninsulated butt connectors, crimped them and covered them with marine shrink tubing. Think this is good enough ?
Im started to second guess what I did. Not good.

View attachment 111671
Nice, good thought process.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor