Future 383cid Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Figure within 6months, give or take, i would like to upgrade from my ZZ4 engine.

Reason being, after doing the very first oil change when i first got the malibu back in september2021, i was greeted with a slight amount of goldish lQQking bearing material in the old oil, typicaly either from the mains or rod bearings and fine silver like glitter(aluminum?) from the oil filter. I have changed the oil at least twice since then, same amount of bearing material persists, other than that, the engine is sound, nothing out of the ordinary while running, just some light pinging off and on, probably the bearings were beat to death even before i bought the car from the previous owner, again, i have no history on the entire driveline.

But i will not really know from where exactly untill the engine is removed, taken apart and inspected, i wouldnt mind just getting another brand new ZZ4 short block, i'll just need to have the L98(10088113/non fast burn) corvette aluminum heads cleaned up and inspected, along with the roller cam and lifters being checked out, have the intake cleaned and reused, new 8" balancer, new 153 tooth flexpalte, new lifter pushrods and new 1.52 ratio roller tipped comp cams rocker arms instead of the 1.5 ratio stamped steel originals just to give the engine alittle more stability and perhaps a pinch more horses to play with, but sadly, the short block is no longer available.

I didnt want to go with a crate engine that had to be shipped from out of state, just in case i had emmidiate issues with or later on to try and send back for replacement or repair. So i decided go with a SMEDING Performance and their 383cid long block(420HP), based in BOERNE, TX, just 30miles away from where i live. All brand new parts, thicker block casting, priority oiling(mains first), not mentioned in advert, that additional info was mentioned when i visited the place. I'll just need to get an intake, flexplate, new valve covers, new headers, for the set im currently using is the possible "D" port design due to the ZZ4 head exhaust port. Figure i'll reuse my Holley SA 770cfm carburetor, Progression Ignition HEI distributor and passenger side oil dipstick, notice the 420HP cam is almost similar to the LT4 Hot Cam, and not sure if my 700R4 is going to put up with the added grunt without a good rebuild.

SMEDING 383cid - https://smedingperformance.com/coll...roducts/383-long-block?variant=11963797569572

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• smeding 383 engine.jpg
    smeding 383 engine.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I didnt want to go with a crate engine that had to be shipped from out of state, just in case i had emmidiate issues with or later on to try and send back for replacement or repair. So i decided go with a SMEDING Performance and their 383cid long block(420HP), based in BOERNE, TX, just 30miles away from where i live. All brand new parts, thicker block casting, priority oiling(mains first), not mentioned in advert, that additional info was mentioned when i visited the place.
It seems like a decent package for the price having a new block and forged internals but I would like to see some flow numbers on their heads and also curious what block they are using that has priority main oiling since that is more of an aftermarket item and the least expensive offering, I know of is the Dart SHP block that costs about $2200
I also noticed on their site that they seem to be gearing towards doing all LS stuff since I found no parts listings for SBC.
If your car is more of a " cruiser" than a racer you really don't need the strength of a race oriented block and rotating assembly and might be better off with a ready to run fully dyno tested engine that you just drop in and go.
I know you wanted to buy local but for about the same price with free shipping.

• Agree

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If you’re happy with and their customer service that’s all that matters. 420 hp out of a 383 doesn’t take much it’s been done with gm parts for years. As long as the parts meet gm quality and has a dyno sheet you’re fine.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
My car will be more of the crusing kind, but with more mild street performance in mind... no racetracks to be had around here anyway, the one in marion, tx was shut down permanantly earlier this year, damn shame.

A BluePrint engine was my other choice.... that one you posted certainly has way more, a lot more to offer for being $100 cheaper, but the smeding long block with the forged rods and crank and hypereutectic pistons are a nice touch though.

The thing with the blueprint 383cid engines... its actually a 377cid, sure its a brand new block, and has the 4.00" bore, but the cranks they use the standard 3.75" stroke, the smeding crank is 3.80" stroke, sure its an extra .050", but that makes it more correct when it comes to the advertised size.

Unfortunately i didnt ask about head flow numbers or any additional info on their engine block, they did mention its of their own design, which means that they had their own thoughts in the matter and had them built to their specifications. But i assume nothing, i'll have to do more research on what basic 180cc heads are capable of, flow number wise and capable HP, especially when it comes to 383cid engines.

I truely wish the ZZ4 short block was still available, its was my first choice to go with, its a great foundation for most basic of street performance builds, they ran from $2600 to $3300 the most depending where you find it, and just swap over my other parts(heads/valve train), provided they are cleaned up, checked out and pass for reuse. If my engine was still in great condition and wanted more power, i would have thought about just going after fastburn heads(210cc), the LT4 hot cam with lifter kit, 1.6 rockers and go with an edlebrock performer rpm intake, the original style, not the air gap one, and be done, the heads doesnt have a heat crossover anyway.

Thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The thing with the blueprint 383 engines... its actually a 377cid, sure its a brand new block, and has the 4.00" bore, but the cranks they use the standard 3.75" stroke, the smeding crank is 3.80" stroke, sure its an extra .050", but that makes it more correct when it comes to the advertised size.
Blueprint most likely machines the block to 0.030 overbore combined with a 3.75 crank makes it a 383.

Last edited:

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas

Attachments

• blueprint 383 info.jpg
    blueprint 383 info.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 60

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Yeah I didn't find the info on the new block until I went to their site, it is good that they use a new block but they still probably bore it to 4.030 to make it a 383
Make perfect sense, but that uses up more valuable overbore space incase of an engine rebuild years to a decade down the road.

I wonder why they just didnt go with a bigger stroke on the crank, its much cheaper to replace a crank than an entire block, clearence or cost issue perhaps, i say keep the 4.00" bore and go 3.80" stroke to make it a true 383cid engine.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
get with bruisedbandanna79,he's running a 383 from blueprint for almost a year now.🍌

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I put the blueprint 383 in my 79 Malibu and so far I'm very happy with it. It's fairly complete. I got the $6,099 one. The dyno sheet it came with showed 453 hp @ 5,900 rpm and 473 ft. lbs. tq @ 4,000 rpm. Whichever route you take, you may want to be sure your Trans can handle the horsepower and torque. My slightly built TH350 did not like that 383. Now I'm putting together funds for a TH400 that can handle the 383. Even with my freeway gears, I can feel quite the difference compared to my old worn out 305.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor