CURRENT 6.0/4l80E swap parts = $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Been reading up on cams. Dropping in a cam and tune and getting 70 to 100 hp. Pretty impressive. Has anyone on here realized that kind of improvement from a stock motor with a cam upgrade? I was t to keep my VVT to help with d daily driving and it appears that staying below 600/240 would be safe. When i m ready to start my swap I'll take advantage of the cam builders engineers and call them to match a cam package with my trans, converter and gearing. It looks like I can have basically a stock engine nd have close to 500 in a DD. I think I could get used to that. You all were right on with your recommendations. Keeping the truckmaniflod, no head porting or CBC needed.

Take your VIN to the dealer and get them to print you off the build sheet for the truck. That will let you know if you have VVT and you can make a decision on you direction from there.

Reactions: 1 user

1badgbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I wouldn't hop on the ls bandwagon until your ready to drop closer to $10,000. You're going to spend at a minimum between $2-3000 just to get it in the car and able to run which on a $5,000 budget leaves you $3,000 for performance parts. My advice to you is to build a nasty 383 or go big block, for that budget, power wise you will be a lot further ahead and you will save the $$$ on the transmission, tc, driveshaft, fuel system, ignition, program, etc. For $5,000 you will wind up with a much better 383, 400 or 454 vs. $5,000 to say you have an ls. For your goal of a 450 hp daily, you're literally throwing money away with an ls swap, you can get a brand new Blueprint crate engine to the door making 450 hp or more for under $4000, probably closer to $3500. Drop it in and go.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
I wouldn't hop on the ls bandwagon until your ready to drop closer to $10,000. You're going to spend at a minimum between $2-3000 just to get it in the car and able to run which on a $5,000 budget leaves you $3,000 for performance parts. My advice to you is to build a nasty 383 or go big block, for that budget, power wise you will be a lot further ahead and you will save the $$$ on the transmission, tc, driveshaft, fuel system, ignition, program, etc. For $5,000 you will wind up with a much better 383, 400 or 454 vs. $5,000 to say you have an ls.
5K was my budget for parts only. I'm aware that it isn't cheap. Having basically a stock 450 up motor in miSS iwill work for me.

1badgbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
Buffalo, NY
5K was my budget for parts only. I'm aware that it isn't cheap. Having basically a stock 450 up motor in miSS iwill work for me.
Blueprint crate engine will get you 450 up for under $4000.00. They're nice set ups. I put my own small blocks together and they're making 500+ on motor for under $4,000 intake to pan with forged internals.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Blueprint crate engine will get you 450 up for under $4000.00. They're nice set ups. I put my own small blocks together and they're making 500+ on motor for under $4,000 intake to pan with forged internals.
Nice set ups agreed but who wants a carburetor? LS = fuel injection & ECM with potential for big easy power with boost

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory

That is very true. But he already owns the donor vehicle. So he isn’t paying for any part of the driveline except the driveshaft.

Even if he goes for the fully Holley swap setup, which is the big $$$ option, he will be under your build price with a reliable modern fuel injected motor. Even with the cam and valve spring swap.

Reactions: 1 user

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Onebadgbody, l already have a very solid, old school 355 roller motor and a built TH350. I'm ready for something different. The 6.0/6L80 combo really intrigues me. I love my SBC just like I'm sure I'll love my LY6.

Last edited:

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
A big block swap won't be cheaper by much. It will reward you with single digit economy though.

Reactions: 1 users

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
I've been researching DBW (what my donor vehicle has) and I'm not sure I want to keep DBW. What mods will I need to do to convert to DBC? I know I'll need to change the throttle body but unclear what else. Which "gas peddle solution" is easier? Suggestions? What does the $400 Nick Williams TB better than the $150 Holley Sniper?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor