CURRENT 6.0/4l80E swap parts = $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I've been researching DBW (what my donor vehicle has) and I'm not sure I want to keep DBW. What mods will I need to do to convert to DBC? I know I'll need to change the throttle body but unclear what else. Which "gas peddle solution" is easier? Suggestions? What does the $400 Nick Williams TB better than the $150 Holley Sniper?
Your factory gas pedal will work fine for DBC. Just get a $100-150 92mm throttle body. The Nick Williams unit is nice, but plenty of guys are making a sh*t ton of power on the stock TB, or an ebay TB.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
You need a compatible ECU, has to come from a donor with DBC. There is a chipset difference on the board itself.

Not much benefit to a really expensive throttle body. Maybe a few small features and benefits. Warr Performance or Snake Eater Performance sell good cheap units.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
FITECH 92MM has IAC motor, TPS, gaskets included and is only $159. The only drawback, if it is one, is it is cast instead of billet. The others I looked at are more expensive and don't even include gaskets (add $25).
1546363123492.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Some of the early(ish) ECMs have the ability to run both dbw and dbc, mine does (2001gmc Yukon). Associated wire harness modifications are also needed. The stock Gbody pedal assembly worked for me along with a throttle cable from a truck with a 4.8/5.3/6.0

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Don't forget if you use a Gen III ECM with a Gen IV engine, you need to do something so the Gen III computer can read the Gen IV crank and cam. The Gen III reluctor wheel is 24 tooth where the Gen IV is 58 tooth. You have to pull the crank to change the reluctor wheel. Another option is the Lingenfelter converter box. That's what we did on my brother's 78 Z28. We used a 2010 L96 6.0 with a Gen III ECM and a DBC throttle body.

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I think, just for the KISS principle, I will keep the DBW and change the pedal. I don't mind the lag on initial acceleration and it may be tuned to eliminate most of that. Even if the lag can't be totally eliminated it isn't a huge issue.

BobinHSV

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
I have followed this thread closely and I am doing a similar swap into my Gen 5 El Camno. L76(DOD Removed, LS3 Cam)6L80E trans. I have all of the mechanical and wiring issues addressed except for 1. Everyone says it takes "a lot of hacking on the tunnel to make a 6L80E fit". Can anyone quantify with numbers what needs to be done. I can cut out the complete tunnel and install the eng/trans , then go back to fit the tunnel top. I would prefer to have a new tunnel top in hand when I start the swap. I want it complete in 2 weeks from start. I already have the fuel system, rear end mods, driveshaft, Mount kit, oil pan and other pieces. The complete engine/Trans will be run and tested out of the car before installation.

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
I have followed this thread closely and I am doing a similar swap into my Gen 5 El Camno. L76(DOD Removed, LS3 Cam)6L80E trans. I have all of the mechanical and wiring issues addressed except for 1. Everyone says it takes "a lot of hacking on the tunnel to make a 6L80E fit". Can anyone quantify with numbers what needs to be done. I can cut out the complete tunnel and install the eng/trans , then go back to fit the tunnel top. I would prefer to have a new tunnel top in hand when I start the swap. I want it complete in 2 weeks from start. I already have the fuel system, rear end mods, driveshaft, Mount kit, oil pan and other pieces. The complete engine/Trans will be run and tested out of the car before installation.
I have not seen any measurements for how much trans tunnel was cut out to accommodate a 6l80. Here is a link of different transmissions sizes. https://gbodyforum.com/threads/trans-dimentions.70834/ There is a guy on LStech who did this swap and he has a lot of info along with a few pics of the trans cutout. I don't remember him giving any measurments. This is the thread I was referring to, https://gbodyforum.com/threads/ls1-swap.64205/post-602872

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor