FUTURE BUICK 350 SWAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Hello all. I am new to the GBodyForum, and I have some questions regarding a future engine swap I have in mind. My car is a 1985 Buick Regal Limited, 3.8 2 barrel V6 and 85,000 miles in it. Sadly, the little V6 ran a bit too hot and is now knocking. For the price of rebuilding it, i could get a used SBB and put that in it's place so, I plan on swapping in a 1969-1972 Buick 350 with either freshening up the TH350 in my car or going with a th350 as old as the 350 or a 200r4, with either rebuilding the current 7.5 with a posi and other goodies, or springing for an 8.5 rear. Could any of you be so kind as to help me make a list on parts I need? I know I need parts like a V8 radiator, shroud, and trans cross member (double hump :D ). Also, I've read that there were a few different versions of the Buick 350; the SB, SO, and SP. What's the difference? And from what I've read, it's one of the easiest g body v8 swaps to do, as I remember browsing the forums as a wee lad and seeing Blake442's wagon swap. So, any tips or advice or parts you think I would need is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys in advance.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
It is one of the easiest swaps to do. Easier than going to a SBC. Pull the tired Buick v-6 out and drop in the Buick 350. It's as simple as that. If your SBB is complete carb to pan that would make it a quicker swap. You wouldn't have to hunt down the little things. You can reuse the engine and frame mounts(don't have to move them) as well as all accessory brackets. If you had the 3 row copper/brass v-6 radiator that would probly work till you get the v-8 radiator. The only downside to the SBB is that the aftermarket offers very little for them for performance upgrades. As for the difference between the SO, SB and SP I have no idea.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks for the reply. As for the wiring harness (car has the factory CC Carb) what should I do with that? or should I try to find a CC q-jet? From what I remember the stock wiring can be used also, correct?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
MrSony said:
Thanks for the reply. As for the wiring harness (car has the factory CC Carb) what should I do with that? or should I try to find a CC q-jet? From what I remember the stock wiring can be used also, correct?

There are some guys out there that have retained the CCC on 350 swaps but personally, I would use an older Q jet. Those early Buick 350's are great engines. Lots of torque down low.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Hi, I've done this swap also and I used the late 350 sbb out of a '75 Century. This engine had EGR, HEI, and enough ports on the intake to use all the V6's sensors. The only trick I used was to convert the V6 HEI CCC to the V8 HEI. It wasn't that difficult at all. (But then I'm ASE certified in auto electronics so I can say it's easy.) Having the Buick V8 HEI was the difference. I'm not sure you can do this conversion without it.
But even if you dob't use the computer, You'll love this engine.
There are cams around and I only know of Kenn-Bell for headers. But just dual the exhaust and you'll be happy. In stock form a Buick 350 will fry your tires off the rims. With a factory rebuild you won't be sorry at all. Leave the gears alone put in a strong 200R4 and cruise.
T

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Cool man.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
SP code is a higher compression SBB 350 with small-dish pistons. Best to use one of these if youre not changing pistons and are adding a cam etc....

71+ are VERY low compression smoggers, big dish pistons sittng waaay in the hole etc.

Dual exhaust and a 4 barrel carb is the biggest improvement right off the bat.

Hooker makes 1103 headers for the SBB 350, I have a new set in the For sale forum now.

I have used a Comp cam, Poston cam (now defunct btw), and a TA performance cam in a SBB 350. All performed well.

Aluminum intakes are available from TA performance, and you can still find Poston ones used from time to time. It is said that there isnt much benefit, flow wise to these intakes, but they are considerably lighter than the stock cast units.

Check out v8buick.com for LOTS of Buick 350 info and parts.

The last things I would say about a SBB 350 is that common wisdom is that there is a LOT of additional power to be had from head porting and power timing the advance curve.

EDIT: but I do agree with the above post that a stock Buick 350 has a good amount of power, and with even just minor tweaking it can be a solid performer.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Oh wow, I know I'm getting old now. I used to live in Las Vegas and would see TA's wagon there all the time. Last time iI saw it it was in the low 10s. Now its in the 8s! How could it forget TA Performance!! :blam:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Re: techg8

thanks for the info man. I'll be sure to keep that in mind with the hooker headers.

dave1978

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2011
Don't forget to upgrade the oil pump Buicks weak link.if you have a good running engine you will be happy you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor