FYI for those going to buy ARH headers for G-Body SBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich's87442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2016
West Seneca, NY
I finally got around to installing the new stainless headers built by American Racing Headers on my '87 442.

First off I have to say they are very nice high quality pieces of work.
But there are a couple things for anyone contemplating buying a set for their G-Body small block Olds should know.

The stock starter will not fit with these. The headers were prototyped with a Powermaster 9510 mini hi torque starter. $206.

The passenger side header will not fit to the cylinder head unless you lop off the ear on the transmission bell housing on a 200R4 overdrive transmission.

I was not informed of either of these issues when I ordered them. But the owner of the company has been very helpful with remedies for these issues. I hope ARH will make a note on their website and let the customer know before they place their order.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
That is good information to know thanks. Do you know if a BBO will have the same issues as dimensionally they are slightly wider? Just asking as I plan on putting a 455 in my 85' in the near future and have been looking at header options.

Mich's87442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2016
West Seneca, NY
Best thing I can tell you alphamale, is fire off a letter to the owner or owners son Nick. He will give you a correct answer.

I would imaging they prototyped the BBO headers with a specific starter. A few other gear heads I talked with said it isn't uncommon to have to lop off an ear on the bell housing for clearance when installing headers on these older cars.

I find all this odd since I've done a lot of header installs on the newer GM LS based engines (C5/6Corvettes, '04-'06 GTO, G8's) without doing mods like this.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
on the right hand side the trans needs to be trimmed and the bottom of the lower a arm mounts needed some trimming on my car I would call it minor considering how large the primary tubes are, running a summit mini starter, 79 cutlass 455 bbo 2004-r trans just an fyi if your body mounts are bad or sag you may have some trouble also

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
All good to know, that is the same combo I'm looking to put in my 85' Cutlass. Thank you both.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Remember how wide the Olds V8 is compared to other motors. It helps torque having the longer intake runners and flat valve angle. There is also less room compared to the earlier A bodies for headers. Good to hear of only minor issues, some have had much more.

jpoole

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
McKinney, TX
Talk to owner before buying. He gave me a discount as he likes Oldsmobiles. Also, thought they had a note on the site about the starter. Also, my 2004r didn't need triming... IDK. One more thing, you might get an O2 bung installed just incase you want to do EFI or install a gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor