G body AC compressor cycling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Converted my AC to 134a a week ago (85 442, 65000 miles).

New Delco compressor, orifice tube, accumulator. Changed the o rings.

Pulled and held vacuum. Recharged Freon and drove for about a week. AC blows very cold. Pressure is 35 low, 150 high side. Outside temp about 70. I noticed the compressor rarely cycles off at idle. Quick cycles while driving. Is this normal for this system? No icing or anything unusual.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
sometimes,not all the time you can adjust the clutch switch a little bit to change the cycle's,cycle..

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
How much refrigerant did you install?
What compressor (assuming R4)

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I have converted 3, I charge to 85% of original system capacity. On an R4 system, that's 44 oz. On an A6 system, it'd be just under 3 lbs (47.6 oz). I should add that I have the luxury of using a dedicated refrigerant recovery/recycling machine, so no guessing as to how much came out of the small cans.

All worked well (too well, according to wife).

Short cycling is often a sign of an undercharged system.

Of course, temperature and humidity play a role in pressures/cooling effectiveness. As long as they aren't crazy high, I don't usually go nuts trying to hit a specific number on pressure.

I use an orifice tube for a 94 GM truck (originally spec'd for R134a) , I have never fooled with the variables so I can't speak to their effectiveness.

Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Is it cold? Air vent outlet temp should be about 20-25 degrees below ambient. A/c compressors are more efficient, more cycle times, when rpms are raised. Also remember, cold temp is just one benefit of an a/c system, but dry air is an even better benefit.

Reactions: 1 user

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Is it cold? Air vent outlet temp should be about 20-25 degrees below ambient. A/c compressors are more efficient, more cycle times, when rpms are raised. Also remember, cold temp is just one benefit of an a/c system, but dry air is an even better benefit.
Yes, the air is cold. I’m wondering now if the pressure cycling switch is bad or could be adjusted.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Is that the switch in the accumulator? Which way do it try to adjust it?
yep that switch that screws into the accumulator,if you pull the plug off between the two prongs there's a screw,i wasn't able to adjust mine but i have seen it done.i don't know if there's a difference between the r12 or the 134 switches.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A post about adjusting that switch from last july...

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor