BUILD THREAD G Body back half

Status
Not open for further replies.

80special

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2016
I just got my back half today and was reading the instructions and came up with a question. Hope someone can help. It is a pre welded kit, and it says that if the car has a offset drivetrain, then mount the center of the crossmember inline with the offset drivetrain centerline and not the chassis centerline. That would make the frame rails offset in my trunk, as this is a pre welded kit. Should I center it or continue with it being offset to the passenger side? What have y'all done? And is it a 1" offset? Thanks in advance!

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Please don't take this as gospel but if you bought a kit I believe they are talking about the trans crossmember - I would call and verify. The back half has to be installed centered for everything to work right

198.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

80special

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2016
I thought it had to be centered too. Here's the link to instructions http://www.moroso.com/sites/default/files/instructions/C3060_inst.pdf
Page 5 step d under subframe install. I tried to google there tech line but didn't find a number just an email. And I was trying to get info on what y'all did so if they try to bullshit me, I can call them on it. But a dropped crossmember is a dropped crossmember. So I can't see why THIS one is different

Attachments

• IMG_3643.PNG
    IMG_3643.PNG
    237.4 KB · Views: 554

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I'm a little confused trying to read the instructions and being interrupted. It might make more sense if I seen the kit your working with. There is talk about a crossmember being welded to the subframe, cutting the frame rails to length, and the wider you make your frame rails the better. Did this come as one piece or do you have to build it?? Mine was from S & W and came completely jeg welded one piece.

073.jpg

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
lilbowtie, I admire your car....Is it still street driven? That back half set up looks great!

Sorry to say I never completely finished it. My son who is my racing bud and my daughter were in college at the same and a guy made me a great offer on it so it got sold as a roller about 15 years ago.

80special

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2016
So after doing a lot of measuremenets the driveline sits 1/2" more to one side, but would only need to be moved 1/4" to be centered. Driver side to driveline center 27.25 Passenger side to drive line center 26.75. With the chassis centerline at 27" it would only be 1/4" off of centerline. Correct me if I'm wrong. So 1/4" closer to the driveshaft loop on one side is ok with me. Again please correct me if I'm wrong.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I hope you take lots of pictures of your progress and post them on here. I am interested in this project.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor