G-body Buick 455 swap headers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA.
I have a Buick 455 in a 1980 Olds Cutlass, it has original exhaust manifolds to dual 3" with performance mufflers and a crossover tube. When Dad originally built the car about 20 years ago he built "custom" engine mounts and had to do some "custom" fabrication to the transmission cross member, I'm not sure the engine is close to a "stock" location, to me it looks a little high and close to the firewall.

Does anyone here have experience with TA Performance 455 headers in a G-body???

Long tube or shorty???

How critical is the engine location? What interference issues can I expect? Pictures showing fitment?

Do the shortys bolt directly in place of the manifolds or do the flanges on the exhaust pipes have to be relocated?

Any information here would be appreciated before I dump $600+ on headers, thanks in advance!

- Steve

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I don't have TA Performance's long tubes, but the now defunct Poston Buick long tubes. Any brand of shorties is waste of money in my personal opinion. The headers for this swap have always been really expensive; I bought mine nearly 10 yrs ago. Mine were actually for an A-body and required new frame pads from Poston Buick. Just call TA Performance and inquire about their headers.

This might provide some more insight as well: http://v8buick.com/index.php?forums/v-8-buick-powered-regals.41/

Reactions: 1 users

Cletus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA.
I don't have TA Performance's long tubes, but the now defunct Poston Buick long tubes. Any brand of shorties is waste of money in my personal opinion. The headers for this swap have always been really expensive; I bought mine nearly 10 yrs ago. Mine were actually for an A-body and required new frame pads from Poston Buick. Just call TA Performance and inquire about their headers.

This might provide some more insight as well: http://v8buick.com/index.php?forums/v-8-buick-powered-regals.41/

Thanks for the link, I will dig around over there a bit to see what I can find.

I kinda doubt I'm going to find the Poston or MT headers for the swap, the other options I'm seeing are the Doug's, Hooker Super Comp (for Skylark), and TA Performance. The TA Performance seem to be a little cheaper than the others, I know I wouldn't see as much HP gain from the shortys but TA claims they give 25-30 HP over manifolds, and they've given me nothing but good information to date. I'm a little weary of long tubes for my car because the one engine mount and transmission cross member have some "custom" work done that may have the engine in a little different location than others, but I'm interested in hearing about (and seeing pictures where possible) of how installation has gone for other folks.

Thanks again for the info.
- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor