G-Body column shift help ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMERA355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
Bellflower,Ca
Hey guys .... new to the forum. I dont know if I am posting in the right area so forgive me ...

Just picked up a 79 Camino back in Dec. I have a sloppy column shifter and decided to see whats up with it . When I removed the arm, I found that the spring is broken. Looking on you tube, I saw that the guy simply removed the spring with a magnet. I was able to remove the broken part of the spring, however.. the remaining portion of the spring is stuck in the column. I tried using a pick with no success. Has anyone had this issue before ? .. please help. I fear my car may roll out of park on a hill or worse. It was tilt column if that helps

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I had same issue. Try to rotate the spring as the bottom appears to be catching. I know not much help
Good luck

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Apply the park brake, that's what it is for.

GAMERA355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
Bellflower,Ca
it`s located in the columm. When you remove the shift lever arm, there is a spring inside that puts tension on the shifter arm to lock it.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Have you pulled the wheel and lock plate?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If the trans is in park, it will not fall out because of the column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor