G-body cousin S truck "Barn find"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
After moving to St George, UT 8 years ago I noticed a 1st gen GMC S15 (Chevy S10 cousin) sitting in a car port not far from where we live, buried under a bunch of boxes and trash. Over the years on a regular basis I've driven past and thought I'd like to own that when I'm in a position to pick up another project. A few months ago I noticed a large dumpster in the driveway full of garbage and the boxes and junk removed off the truck. I stopped by a couple times and knocked on the door but no answer. Looking around the yard and how the house appeared to be maintained it was likely an older person or someone not quite together lived there. My guess was that the truck was broken down and therefore sitting long enough for the tires to go flat and badly dry rot. No luck with talking to anyone so I let it go, but kept on eye out to make sure it was still there whenever I drove past

Running Saturday errands a couple weeks ago I noticed another dumpster full of trash in the driveway, I guessed they're cleaning out the house because someone isn't living there anymore and figured it's now or never. I dropped by, luckily this time finding Karen, the gray haired wife of the grandson of the owner of the home and truck. She was super friendly and we talked about the house and truck. Her husband's grandad owned the home, whose wife had passed away in 2009 and he then in 2010. She was 92, he was 94 (!). Karen and her husband are in charge of the trust, and both have been involved in home improvement down in Las Vegas area for many years. She was there to start gutting the home to prepare for renovating to start renting it out. She said Granddad bought the truck new in '85 at a car dealership here in town. This man's younger brother took over the home and truck when they passed, and lived there until about 4 years ago. He was a hoarder, had some other health/ mental issues, and has been living in a facility for about 4 years now. Apparently he didn't use the truck much at all, 2009 was the last year it was registered, was parked sometime in 2010, he left the keys in the ignition, locked and shut the doors, and there it sat.

I thought to myself this would be just right for my younger son, 2.8 V6, automatic trans, and a great candidate for a mild V8 swap if the motor or trans was toast. Besides my G-bodies, I also have an '88 S10 Blazer and my older son has a Pro Touring build '84 S10 short bed with a very nasty 383 and T56 going into it. This S15 truck would be a perfect new member of our GM family. After explaining that my 17 yr old son had just got his learner's permit and that he and I were looking for a truck project to work on for him to drive I asked if I could buy it. She said she had already promised it to another older fellow but she'd heard he was now unfortunately in the hospital battling cancer. She said she needed to check with him first and then would let me know. Monday morning she called me and we made a deal, part of the payment was simply helping her clean out some of the heavier items in the home. I'm lucky enough to work from home, set my own hours, and have been taught all my life to serve others so I was happy to oblige. I spent Wednesday and Thursday of that week helping her move stuff, throw stuff in the dumpster and clean up a bit. The hard work was refreshing, conversation between Karen and I was nice and I also scored a TV, a bunch of old tools and some vintage Christmas decorations she didn't want. At the end of the day she handed me the title and said good luck with it.

Saturday my older son and I took the tow dolly and some spare tires over to pick it up. Without keys it took us maybe 15 minutes or so to get the door unlocked. The windows had so much dust on them I couldn't see inside real well so I was anxious to check out what the mileage was. First thing I noticed was a seat with no real wear on it. Next I noticed the rubber floor mat had little wear nor did the pedals have any wear. Looked at the odometer and said "Shut up!" as I read 35,557. I looked at the paperwork in the glove box and some service records documented that was indeed the original mileage. Popped the hood and found a lot of dust, spider webs, and a very clean engine, completely intact and looking like it matched the mileage. Trans fluid and engine are oil both clean. Also found the a/c had apparently been converted to R134, a very serious bonus since high temps average around 112 here in the summer. Rather than try to start it there I wanted to bring it home to where the tools and supplies were so we swapped tires, pulled the driveshaft and loaded it onto the tow dolly. My '77 454 Suburban as usual hauled it home like there was nothing behind it. ;)

First thing I did was spray wash it, top to bottom, and then we got it in the driveway for inspection.

The bad:
  • Karen told me the guy that was living in the home let his son borrow it once who backed it into one of the carport poles. Luckily just the driver's door was what took the hit, no damage to the cab or fender. So I need a new door. This one may be fixable but the dent is weird shaped, has a couple slight creases and not sure I want to mess with it. I can probably find a replacement door way cheaper than the time and supplies needed to fix this one.
  • The insurance card showed Granddad the original owner had two other cars, so it's likely he only used the truck for truck duties. I found some rope, a big heavy canvas tarp and a couple pairs of leather gloves behind the seat, I wonder if maybe he was an old rancher or something. Because of the truck being used as a truck, there are multiple scratches on the bed sides, in the bed and on the tailgate. There's also a small dent near the rear bumper on the driver's side and a minor crease dent near the taillight on the passenger side. Besides the damage to the bed and door the rest of the truck is in amazingly good shape.
  • The roof has some surface rust near the top of the windshield, looks like road debris put a gagillion tiny paint chips in it and there's surface rust there. Luckily this is a super dry desert climate here so no concerning rust or rust through anywhere.
  • Paint is badly chalked over with some paint chips and scratches here and there. I think a good lovin' buffing will easily make it shine again.
  • Dash pad top is badly cracked. rest of the dash is dusty but in great shape.
  • Front bumper is bent forward, looked like it was pulled out by a hook on the top of the bumper. Rear bumper is bent down on the driver's side.
  • All 4 tires heave great tread, but are toast. Dry rotted real bad and rubber is separating where they were flat and creased, sort of like when you fold crispy toast in half.
  • Dash has warning lights instead of a gauge pack. Can't have win 'em all I guess, lol.
The Good:
  • Vinyl seat has only one small tear, looks like the proverbial screwdrivier in the back pocket type incident. The rest of the seat is slightly dirty but perfect otherwise. Driver's side door panel was a little dirty (see pic) but some simple green later cleaned it up nicely.
  • New looking stock style muffler and tailpipe. That's nice but that won't be there long, even with a V6 I need to hear the engine, lol.
  • Honest to goodness low mileage survivor, so the truck is in relatively great shape everywhere!
The Cool:
  • Still has the original issued in 1985 license plates on it. I'm hoping under the circumstances the DMV will let me keep these plates on it and just transfer them to my ownership.
First round of pics...

Attachments

• IMG_8360.jpg
    IMG_8360.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_8378.jpg
    IMG_8378.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_8377.jpg
    IMG_8377.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_8376.jpg
    IMG_8376.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_8375.jpg
    IMG_8375.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_8374.jpg
    IMG_8374.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_8373.jpg
    IMG_8373.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_8372.jpg
    IMG_8372.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_8371.jpg
    IMG_8371.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_8368.jpg
    IMG_8368.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_8361.jpg
    IMG_8361.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_8362.jpg
    IMG_8362.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_8363.jpg
    IMG_8363.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_8364.jpg
    IMG_8364.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_8365.jpg
    IMG_8365.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_8366.jpg
    IMG_8366.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: 16 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Initial running condition:

The battery had been replaced in 2009, but sitting dead that long I'm sure it's hosed. My older son took it to work today to see if he can put a deep charge on it but I don't expect much from it. We borrowed the battery from our Suburban and and cranked it over which it did flawlessly. Gas gauge read 1/8 tank so we went to the gas station and got a couple gallons. Put most in the tank and filled the carb float bowl. It fired right up and after a couple seconds of a stumble smoothed out and ran perfect till it drained the bowl. Did that again twice more. Was a good and bad sign, the engine runs perfectly but it's not pulling fuel from the tank. My driveway is on a slight incline so could be the gas gauge might be off and the low fuel has run away from the pick up, clogged filter, bad fuel pump, ... ? I'll spend this Saturday diagnosing the system. If nothing else we know it runs great. That is such incredible news. Hopefully the trans runs equally well.

Initial Necessary Duties:
  • Buy a battery
  • Fix fuel issue
  • Once running/driving get it registered in my name.
  • Change oil and trans fluid, the latter is clean but smells old. I figure changing the trans fluid and the pan gasket will save headaches later on.
  • Change air filter. It's kinda dirty so it's time and I may just get a K&N for it. A few extra ponies making it breathe better is only a good thing for a small V6.
  • Swap tires on factory wheels. I have a bunch of good 14" tires from project and parts cars so that'll be a labor cost only deal.
  • Give it a thorough cleaning inside and out and then buff the paint.
  • Replace door and pick up some paint that color matches the body.
  • Replace both bumpers.
First Round of Upgrade Mods:
  • I already have Belltech 3" rear springs, 3" blocks and 2" spindles in my cart on Summit racing. I'll cut the front springs a little for a total of front / rear 4-5 / 6" drop.
  • Replace the rear shocks with air shocks so I can still use the bed for truck duties.
  • Remove the cat- no emissions or safety testing here at all so it's not required by the state.
  • Replace that huge stock style muffler with a second hand Flowmaster I have collecting dust on the shelf in the garage.
  • I have a pair of the same outside mirrors in black so I'll swap on those. I'm planning to swap to black door handles and locks too.
  • Paint the grill black, add body molding and gold paint on the lower portion to duplicate this Blazer's factory paint scheme, see pic below.
  • Drive and enjoy.
Later plans:
  • Tach, oil pressure and coolant temp gauges so I can keep tabs on things.
  • 35% window tint, a must for southern Utah. That's what's legal here and I don't want it to look all gangster so not gonna go 20% or less on this one.
  • Upgrade the cassette tape player radio and speakers with something just a little more modern. ;)
  • New dash pad skin, and then a typical cheap dash cover to protect that one.
  • Tan and black Mexican blanket for the seat, there's a nice one on ebay that's large enough to cover the whole seat. When I was in hot rod school I got to do a 6 month internship at a local custom auto upholstery shop. Using what I picked up there I'll custom fit the blanket to fit tight on the seat. That'll be nice for those hot summer days where normally your legs initially fry and then get stuck with sweat to vinyl, and to preserve/ protect the factory seat. Unique custom look too. :cool:
  • Swap in a nicer steering wheel.
  • 15x8 wheels and 235-60-15 tires. I'm thinking about getting those popular "D Window" steel wheels and then paint them body color, and use factory S10 Sport steel wheel center caps. Give it a sort of factory look using wider aftermarket wheels.
  • If the engine ever goes bad, I'm going to swap in the 75,000 mile 307 Olds I yanked from my 84 Cutlass. It's stock but a truck like this won't need much power to scoot. The V6 has from what I read around 135 hp and TQ. The Olds 307 isn't much more power but it has 250 ft lbs, a big upgrade considering. That engine will also get similar MPG as the V6 and will last a long while, so that and a V8 tone it would be a nice cruiser swap. But again, only if/ when the V6 goes bad.
I'll post up pics as I get it all together. Here's a pic of the paint scheme I'm shooting for as well as a quickie photoshop (pic of a different truck I found on the internet) with factory 14" wheels and the 15" D windows.

1991_gmc_s-15_jimmy-pic-5477712197458986375-1600x1200.jpeg
111297012_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.JPG

S15 Drop.jpg
S15 Drop Wheels.jpg

Seat Cover material-

Blanket.jpg
OR
Blanket 2.jpg

Attachments

• S15 Drop.jpg
    S15 Drop.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 111297012_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.JPG
    111297012_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That is so similar to me back in 1977 landing a refrigerator white with red interior '64 Malibu SS with 283 and powerglide (19K miles on it) that...a little old lady school teacher bought new and drove it for about 7 years. No kidding. Older guy's sister bought a new car, and she just parked it in the carport and that's where it sat. Guy was into Chrysler New Yorker boats. 1/4" of dirt covered it up by the time I got it. Coughed up $350 for that bad dad.

Nice score. If you got it cheap, it'll be a great project.

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I've always like those trucks. Nice body style. I was even a fan of the Chevy Luv body style. I'm glad to see it go to a good home and by the sounds of it, Karen was glad to see it go to someone deserving to own it.

Reactions: 1 user

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
69Hurstolds- Cool story! What a great score! ... Karen didn't tell me a dollar amount at first, but asked me to help her move junk and help clean the house a bit as part of the price. She was older than me and alone here for a week to work on the house while her husband had to work in Vegas. It was a major dump with so much trash and junk and some heavy stuff she wanted to throw away. I thought even if she wants too much $ and I pass on the truck I can at least do some service and help her out some. When it was all done she just gave me the title, so basically it cost me a few hours of my time and that was it. I really feel blessed and grateful for her kindness.

305- Awesome. We kinda dig 'em too. A few years ago I found a high mileage but incredibly well kept '88 Blazer with a gnarly rod knock. Was driven by a woman that commuted, so although the interior smells like perfume it's super clean and in good shape, just high mileage. I bought all the Belltech lowering parts and SBC swap parts, along with a cowl hood, later 1st gen radiator support and GMC grill for it, but it's on the back burner until after the G-bodies are done. My older son has an '84 beater short bed S10 that he's been messing with too. It's slammed, has 13" C5 brakes and 18" wheels. It had a built 355 SBC in it with a .540 lift roller and Engine Quest heads. Now he's building a 383 with a .600 lift roller and Brodix heads, shooting for low 11s in the 1/4 on the engine and somewhere in the 10s with a little shot on it. I also have a 77 Squarebody 'Burban which I love too but these little trucks sure are fun to rip around in.

Blazer 001.jpg
Blazer Vortec 14.jpg

s10.jpg
S10 Eng.jpg
s10 wheels.jpg
S10 Forum post.jpg

Attachments

• s10 wheels.jpg
    s10 wheels.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: 5 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
I've always like those trucks. Nice body style. I was even a fan of the Chevy Luv body style. I'm glad to see it go to a good home and by the sounds of it, Karen was glad to see it go to someone deserving to own it.
Thanks, we'll take good care of it for sure. Real nice lady, and I think she was.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Great find. Hopefully your son is appreciative of the history. 1985 was a different time than now - people treated everything differently then as compared to now imo. No social media or cell phones that didn't require a bag with a heavy *ss battery. That truck is a piece of that history.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a truck of that nature in stock form because it will be another 50 years before they are of any real value. Cool and reliable transportation - this old guy's goal ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor