G-body cousin S truck "Barn find"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
These trucks are getting rare up here but I have seen a couple of decent 2WD in good shape for sale for pretty cheap. Hard to justify a 2WD for me, crap launching a boat and in Winter as well. I obviously really like the Olds 307, I got 450,000 km out of one. The 84 non swirl port flat tappet 307 is 148 HP/245 ft/lbs. A mild cam swap is also easy, the 204/214 cam is cheap and also gets rid of the nylon cam gear. Dual exhaust adds 20 HP/15 Ft/lbs of torque, at least it did from the factory. Of course a 2004R would also go great with a gear swap. I owned a few of these Varijet 2.8 V6 in cars, fairly gutless but reliable and good on gas. Looks like a nice little truck, glad to see you enjoy it.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
These trucks are getting rare up here but I have seen a couple of decent 2WD in good shape for sale for pretty cheap. Hard to justify a 2WD for me, crap launching a boat and in Winter as well. I obviously really like the Olds 307, I got 450,000 km out of one. The 84 non swirl port flat tappet 307 is 148 HP/245 ft/lbs. A mild cam swap is also easy, the 204/214 cam is cheap and also gets rid of the nylon cam gear. Dual exhaust adds 20 HP/15 Ft/lbs of torque, at least it did from the factory. Of course a 2004R would also go great with a gear swap. I owned a few of these Varijet 2.8 V6 in cars, fairly gutless but reliable and good on gas. Looks like a nice little truck, glad to see you enjoy it.
Thanks for sharing that info! Originally I thought to swap in my Olds 307 but I'm getting mixed feedback on whether it's a simple swap or takes a bunch of mods to make it work in an S10. My older son recently pulled a 355 SBC from his S10 to make way for a higher hp 383. The 355 has a .540 lift roller cam and I have a set of Dart heads I can put on it so I'm leaning towards that, especially now that plans have escalated from being a low power cruiser to being set up better for autocrossing. I'm thinking when I get to swapping the big block into my 4 door the 307 may find it's way into my 86 Bonneville just to get it back on the road and driveable until I can get a little crazy with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Thanks for sharing that info! Originally I thought to swap in my Olds 307 but I'm getting mixed feedback on whether it's a simple swap or takes a bunch of mods to make it work in an S10. My older son recently pulled a 355 SBC from his S10 to make way for a higher hp 383. The 355 has a .540 lift roller cam and I have a set of Dart heads I can put on it so I'm leaning towards that, especially now that plans have escalated from being a low power cruiser to being set up better for autocrossing. I'm thinking when I get to swapping the big block into my 4 door the 307 may find it's way into my 86 Bonneville just to get it back on the road and driveable until I can get a little crazy with it.
Yeah, the 307 is limited like the 305 with a small bore and 8.5 to 1 at best. Yeah, for more than the 250 HP, there are much better choices without a doubt. The SBC are dirt cheap these days and everywhere with the LS in everything. Good luck on the mods.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor