G BODY Cutlass Door Stress Crack near top exterior common problem? easy fix or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

442kid

Apprentice
Nov 24, 2007
Stoney Creek Ontario Canada
Hi Guys, I have seen this a few times now and looking at some southern doors where the drivers (most commonly used) has a crack at the top of the door near chrome trim. I have seen this before on pass side door as well on another parts car. Is the door an easy fix? The bottom lip is solid...wondering if this is a common flaw in the gm doors of the era and if anybody has fixed it without a re-skin etc. Thx Darryl

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Good question. I've seen the same uneven bodywork between the door and side glass on several cars I checked out. I'm not sure if it can be traced to a few body mounts missing on some models.
I'm new to the G body and I might be wrong.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Can you post a few pics of the damage to the door?

ed1948, no, the cracking near the top of the 1/4 and roof skin joint has more to do with years of flexing and there being a leaded joint right there, as these bodies and frames are weak enough even with ALL the bushings in place.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Guys, I think he is talking about cracking of the door skin not the joint between the roof and the quarter.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Re: door flaw I misread the post. I see now that the caffeine has kicked in!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's not so much a defect as it is (from what I've seen) a function of who owned the car and how it was treated. I've owned, drove, and repaired or parted out a couple hundred of these cars over the years and seen that issue regularly.

Also, I've been fortunate to be around some cars that had the same owner since new.

What I've NOTICED (which is to say not read about or seen documented) is that it happens more frequently in cars people pushed themselves upwards by resting a hand on the door top or armrest when entering and exiting. Heavy door with added weight from the person leaning, metal fatiguing etc.

I have not noticed a correlation to mileage, trim level, or options. Equal frequency for base vs limited/brougham, pw/Pl vs manual, etc. Even had a 34k original mile base trim car crank window car with that issue. No issues with door dines or worn striker pins making contact when closing on most of the cars either.

As far as repair, you'd really want to weld it and make sure nobody leaned on the car getting in and out. Plastic is likely to crack due to how heavy these are and wouldn't look right by the time it was built up thick enough.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I mig welded my driver's door on my Monte where there was a stress crack near the front going under the chrome molding, it has been holding up for many years but also around that time I installed new body mounts and new GM upper door hinges ( just because I had them ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor