G-Body Disc Disc Proportioning Valve Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
When I converted my GP to 4 wheel disc I used a prop valve from an 83 or 84 el Dorado , since they are a similar size and weight to a Gbody, and it worked perfectly. A Toronado or Riviera of the same vintage with 4 wheel disc would also be the same.

I also am running a factory Cadillac Seville prop valve with no issues.

Reactions: 1 user

7883Elko

n00b
Aug 7, 2018
Yup I just have the QP base disc kit except they are the calipers w/o e brakes...I went ahead and ordered a disc disc prop valve for now and will probably end up swapping to a larger master cylinder bore in the near future..Thanks everyone for the input! fleming442 do you have a QP 9"? Was wondering how it's holding up I haven't talked with anyone that owns one yet

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yup I just have the QP base disc kit except they are the calipers w/o e brakes...I went ahead and ordered a disc disc prop valve for now and will probably end up swapping to a larger master cylinder bore in the near future..Thanks everyone for the input! fleming442 do you have a QP 9"? Was wondering how it's holding up I haven't talked with anyone that owns one yet
No, my buddy just put one in his C10 project; it's still in fab; so no use yet. I learned about those stupid Seville calipers on another friend's 71 Z28- we bled the brakes for 3 days!

Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Also when I converted my GP I used blazer brakes front and rear (so I could still use 15in wheels) I initially used the el dorado master cylinder but was not happy with the pedal travel so I switched to a master for a 81 T/A with 4 wheel disc since its a larger bore than the caddy and its an aluminum cylinder so it looks like a stock Gbody one and also required no swapping around of the brake lines. Now the car really stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change. The only thing I may do still is swap out to a B body booster since there doesn't seem to be enough power assist for my liking now.

Reactions: 2 users

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
For my elcamino disc brake setup I used Cadillac eldorado master cylinder and portioning valve and rear disc setup with blazer front brakes.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
I'm struggling with the same issue at the moment. I have a qp 9" with the explorer brakes with the e brake. I replaced prop valve with the stock style one from summit thats "supposed" to work with disc/disc. So far I can only get a trickle from the rear brakes. Front has a pretty good flow of fluid. Followed the instructions with the valve and still isn't working. May just be making a stupid error somewhere but i've never had so much trouble bleeding brakes. Any ideas? And sorry to hijack the post.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I have to say this thread gives ALOT of info. But with such conflicting opinions/experiences, I'm BAFFLED.
I plan in the next 6 mos. to do the QP9 swap. I already have 2000 era Camaro 4 wheel discs with E brake sitting in my basement.
My mind is leaning toward the 81 TA master. Other than that brass prop valve, wouldn't an 81 TA prop valve work?
I want to have ALL the right/best parts before I even start.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
To answer your question, yes a 1981 TA prop valve will work as long as the application is for rear discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor