G-body frame upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
I welded in the Hellwig kit. Made the frame super stiff but I haven't finished the restoration yet. But I'm very happy with the result.
What project car is that for? how did it go welding it as far as measurements did you have to strap the center so it didn't warp on you like the instructions talk about? I think I'm doing it myself it will give me a reason to buy another toy for the garage. I see you have a Miller MiG. do you recommend that over Lincoln?

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
You will want to look through this thread as well, it has a lot of information about factory and aftermarket braces.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Goldhawg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2021
What project car is that for? how did it go welding it as far as measurements did you have to strap the center so it didn't warp on you like the instructions talk about? I think I'm doing it myself it will give me a reason to buy another toy for the garage. I see you have a Miller MiG. do you recommend that over Lincoln?
I did strap it initially until I got to the point of welding a piece of angle iron (see pic). I'm a big fan of my millermatic 211; absolutely love it. It's the older style and works flawlessly--any issues are my poor welding ability. Red or Blue can't go wrong. But if you find an older style 211 like mine with an argon tank at $800 or so, jump on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
I didnt do any frame reenforcing on my 84 olds but I swapped out the mushed out rubber body mounts for aluminum. 😀

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
is that frame currently for sale? and would it work for 1987 442?
Yes, that frame would work for your 1987 442. Depending on if the frame notch was done properly that could be a good deal for someone. I’d ask for some more pictures and go from there. Looks like some UMI parts are also included which is always good. Bring a trailer and make an offer…

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor