G-Body Hitch(Class III or IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlb602

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2020
Good day,

Anyone know where I can buy a class III or IV(2 in receiver) hitch for my '82 Malibu Wagon? Looking to pull a 20' jet boat...

Please let me know.

Thank you,
Mario

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Have a Reese hitch that is decades old on a 79 Camino. If I recall it was the heaviest that was made and it is a Class 3. Ratings are 350 pound hitch weight and 3500 pound towed weight. Uses 2 bolts on each bumper shock mount and two 3/4" bolts on each frame horn.

I have not seen these made in many years and I do not think there is anything heavier that was offered. Not sure a G-Body can tow a 20 foot trailer of that weight safely.

Reactions: 1 user

mlb602

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2020
Have a Reese hitch that is decades old on a 79 Camino. If I recall it was the heaviest that was made and it is a Class 3. Ratings are 350 pound hitch weight and 3500 pound towed weight. Uses 2 bolts on each bumper shock mount and two 3/4" bolts on each frame horn.

I have not seen these made in many years and I do not think there is anything heavier that was offered. Not sure a G-Body can tow a 20 foot trailer of that weight safely.
Ok. Thank you. I'm thinking I may need something a bit beefer....

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ok. Thank you. I'm thinking I may need something a bit beefer....
These cars didn't have great frames. They're very weak and flex a lot.

Add to that the body doesn't add strength from the panels the way the newer cars add. There rubber bushings and whole setup are designed to flex and cushion road travel, not stay rigid.

Plus the brakes suck at anything heavy in stock form.

Not saying you couldn't tow that boat, but, I think I probably wouldn't.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I recall a few years back, a west coast member had a big block powered Malibu wagon that he used to tow a trailered drag boat with. I think he said that it pulled it fine, but the brakes weren't adequate enough. Does your trailer have brakes? I would also make sure the suspension is up to the task and it couldn't hurt to update your braking system.

As for the hitch. No one seems to make a G-body class III hitch anymore. I have a Curt class II hitch on my wagon and it's allegedly good for up to 3500 lbs.
Your best bet would be to post a want ad looking specifically for a class III hitch.

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a class 2 hitch on my Bonnewagon. It only has the 1-1/4" receiver but I can tow a 15' Whaler no problem. A 20' fiberglass boat is pretty heavy. I don't think these G-bodies can handle that without some serious modifications. Bigger rear springs, coil-over shocks, boxed control arms, and a weight distributing hitch that tied into the frame farther forward. I'm sure a good hitch shop could whip something up but the other stuff would be up to you. I once towed a 1978 Camaro home from Jersey with my 1981 Malibu wagaon using one of those U-haul transporters. The front tires were on the trailer and the rears just followed. Going forward was OK, but backing up twisted my rear suspension into knots. Scary.

Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have a class 2 hitch on my Bonnewagon. It only has the 1-1/4" receiver but I can tow a 15' Whaler no problem. A 20' fiberglass boat is pretty heavy. I don't think these G-bodies can handle that without some serious modifications. Bigger rear springs, coil-over shocks, boxed control arms, and a weight distributing hitch that tied into the frame farther forward. I'm sure a good hitch shop could whip something up but the other stuff would be up to you. I once towed a 1978 Camaro home from Jersey with my 1981 Malibu wagaon using one of those U-haul transporters. The front tires were on the trailer and the rears just followed. Going forward was OK, but backing up twisted my rear suspension into knots. Scary.
You're right, Mark.
A 20' boat is pretty heavy as you stated. These cars really weren't made to do any heavy duty towing. Like in your case, a 15' Boston Whaler would probably be the limit and perhaps a small utility trailer. I thought about towing a small teardrop trailer with my car. I'm sure up to a certain weight limit it would be fine.
Many years back when I still had the 305 in the car and using a bumper hitch, I flat towed my Porsche from Pennsylvania to NY after blowing the engine. It towed just fine and that's a 2000 lb car.

U-Haul used to sell a pretty heavy duty hitch for our cars. I think it was a class III with the heavier receiver. When I finally got around to purchasing one, they were discontinued.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
You can make your own:

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a new Curt hitch with a 2" receiver. I believe it was old stock. It's going on a project that we are building presently. It's dang heavy. I'm not sure if it's a Class 2 or 3, but I'd assumed it was a class 3 due to the receiver and the class 2 has an 1 1/4" receiver. Regardless of the rating, I'd not be a fan of towing something 3-4000 lbs. The mounting off from a single bumper shock bolt doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I have a homemade hitch, that I copied the Curt design to fabricate. It works pretty well to pull a small u-haul (4x8), and I can safely say that it requires some thinking ahead when stopping at 1500-1800lbs total weight. Electric or surge brakes would be a fabulous idea.

Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
iirc, the El Caminos (and probably all G-bodies) are only rated for a Class II hitch. if you go looking for a Curt hitch, all you will find is a Class II, and I don't think they even make it anymore

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor