G body paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissasinave

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2021
I have an 88 cutlass supreme. I had someone do the body work only to find out that spray foam was used. The body is all in primer but the very bottom of the car above the rockers looks bad. I really want to just drive the car this year and worry about the paint and stuff at a later date. What can I do to just drive the car this summer? Do I just clear coat it and be done with it for now. Vinyl wrap, or just drive it in primer? What are my options in this situation?

Attachments

• 8B4E9A46-557C-46FB-86BE-72679CD65AE0.jpeg
    8B4E9A46-557C-46FB-86BE-72679CD65AE0.jpeg
    755.1 KB · Views: 112

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Did they not use body filler I'm assuming, and used spray foam? Wow. I'd be hot for sure. Do you know what kind of primer was used? Some primers will absorb water, if you're in the rain it'll basically ruin stuff. A wrap might not be a bad idea if the installer can get the edges tight to prevent moisture from penetrating.

Reactions: 1 users

Melissasinave

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2021
Did they not use body filler I'm assuming, and used spray foam? Wow. I'd be hot for sure. Do you know what kind of primer was used? Some primers will absorb water, if you're in the rain it'll basically ruin stuff. A wrap might not be a bad idea if the installer can get the edges tight to prevent moisture from penetrating.
He used Canadian tire automotive filler primer. In grey

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
I've taken many autobody classes at the local community college and I'm not familiar with tire automotive filler primer or spray foam. But I'll try....

No, you don't clearcoat over primer. And as injectedcutty said, some primers absorb water. Check the specs on the product your bodyworker used, if it's epoxy primer then you can be less worried about moisture. Drive it and enjoy it. Don't get over your head and get caught up in a paint project that ties up the car all summer. But work toward eventually getting it done right. And why consider just clearcoating rather than first putting on a basecoat in the first place?

So what to you mean, "looks bad"? Just color mismatch or texture? Or filler failure? If it's blistered it may need to be taken back down to bare metal and done right.

That's a start. What do you want to do?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
First of all, if you paid "someone" to do your body work, who was this person and how much did you pay? If the rate or amount you paid wasn't comparable to what a body shop might charge, then my response is nowadays you get what you pay for. Second, what did you agree upon when they took the car and started the work? They either did what was agreed upon or they didn't. Lastly, take care of your 88 Cutlass because our classic cars are getting rarer by the day and good ones are hard to find!

That being said, some of the advice given by the others is correct, specifically, the fact that most primers absorb water. With the exception of epoxy primer, not applying any kind of topcoat (base and clear) will result in rust developing by the end of summer. From the one picture you've shared, if the person did not take the time nor make the effort to ensure paint coverage along the rockers, I doubt seriously that he would've used epoxy primer which is more expensive. If you've already spent money to get to this stage, why are you in a rush to not finish the job properly! Just like the old Fram oil filter commercial...Pay me now or pay me later!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Spray foam instead of filler is what we called state inspection class work in Pa. The customer didn’t want to pay much, just get it through 1 or 2 state inspections. Eastwood says you can put clear over epoxy primer. But I also doubt that’s what you got

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've taken many autobody classes at the local community college and I'm not familiar with tire automotive filler primer or spray foam. But I'll try....

No, you don't clearcoat over primer. And as injectedcutty said, some primers absorb water. Check the specs on the product your bodyworker used, if it's epoxy primer then you can be less worried about moisture. Drive it and enjoy it. Don't get over your head and get caught up in a paint project that ties up the car all summer. But work toward eventually getting it done right. And why consider just clearcoating rather than first putting on a basecoat in the first place?

So what to you mean, "looks bad"? Just color mismatch or texture? Or filler failure? If it's blistered it may need to be taken back down to bare metal and done right.

That's a start. What do you want to do?
It’s not tire automotive filler. Canadian Tire is a Canadian auto parts store which is where they sell that product in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor