G Body Pro Touring Forged Tall Performance Spindles for the G-Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
I aksed you if the 10 lbs you say they weight included the caliper bracket, steering arm and hardware but didn't see a reply
Add a pound or two for the steering arms.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Looks like the complete price is hardly more than a certain companies arms & outer steering rods last I looked. I have their shockwave airride seup for stock arms (mounts like shocks). Could this work with this setup?
I'll assume choice of factory or aftermarket upgrade brake choices such as c-5 to c-7 vette calipers is just a matter of correct brackets to make work.

Reactions: 1 users

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Looks like the complete price is hardly more than a certain companies arms & outer steering rods last I looked. I have their shockwave airride seup for stock arms (mounts like shocks). Could this work with this setup?
I'll assume choice of factory or aftermarket upgrade brake choices such as c-5 to c-7 vette calipers is just a matter of correct brackets to make work.

We have tested this setup with the shockwaves. Laid to the bump stops no problem.
Our springs are only $100 and we would deduct this from the total price if needed.
Yes, the big brake set up is simply using a factory drum hub and a bracket. Or aftermarket options as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Reactions: 1 user

scoti

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
They seem allot like the SC&C AFX spindles that have been around for years.....

They're both spindles so there's only going to be limited differences. AFX spindles are aluminum, require C7 style wheel bearing packs, limit the brake & wheel diameter options, aren't as tall, & only come w/1" of drop. That's 6 differences that I know of so these 'new' spindles are not exactly like something that has "been around for years".

That being said, only time will tell if these are 'game changer' better/different or just different.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
They're both spindles so there's only going to be limited differences. AFX spindles are aluminum, require C7 style wheel bearing packs, aren't as tall, & only come w/1" of drop. That's 4 differences that I know of so these 'new' spindles are not exactly like something that has "been around for years".

That being said, only time will tell if these are 'game changer' better/different or just different.

They are both trying to accomplish basically the same thing so I guess them saying "1 of a kind and no other company has even thought about or came close to creating what we did" to me is not accurate to "me". I am wondering where this 3" tall vs the 1.4" that all other companies have seems to have chosen as the magic number is going to change. The biggest thing I am seeing here is having to replace most every component on your front end and still having a stock style spindle vs. the AFX that works with at least some of your existing parts and has a sealed hub to make big brake conversions much easier certainly would push me. I suppose time will tell on this 3" taller combo here. I am looking forward to hearing some real world feedback to know if this is in fact a game changer.

scoti

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
They are both trying to accomplish basically the same thing so I guess them saying "1 of a kind and no other company has even thought about or came close to creating what we did" to me is not accurate to "me". I am wondering where this 3" tall vs the 1.4" that all other companies have seems to have chosen as the magic number is going to change. The biggest thing I am seeing here is having to replace most every component on your front end and still having a stock style spindle vs. the AFX that works with at least some of your existing parts and has a sealed hub to make big brake conversions much easier certainly would push me. I suppose time will tell on this 3" taller combo here. I am looking forward to hearing some real world feedback to know if this is in fact a game changer.
Exactly. I felt the description is accurate depending on how you interpret the statement.

I've looked long & hard @ the AFX option but couldn't get past the price of admission. Going that route required purchasing lots of expensive supporting parts. These 'new' units are appealing in that you can get much improved camber curve benefits while still utilizing 15" wheels & then add upgrades when possible. Of course, one could buy big brakes + large diameter wheels first & then upgrade the spindles @ some point but it seems out of order that way as far as building a car that handles.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Exactly. I felt the description is accurate depending on how you interpret the statement.

I've looked long & hard @ the AFX option but couldn't get past the price of admission. Going that route required purchasing lots of expensive supporting parts. These 'new' units are appealing in that you can get much improved camber curve benefits while still utilizing 15" wheels & then add upgrades when possible. Of course, one could buy big brakes + large diameter wheels first & then upgrade the spindles @ some point but it seems out of order that way as far as building a car that handles.

I hear ya on the cost of the AFX, they are pretty well a proven combo though. I am no expert but I have done allot more research on this stuff than most folks probably have and everything I have looked at in the past from all of the companies that are big in the game for g body pro touring style parts seem to thing that 1.4-1.5" height has been the key to fixing the geometry. I can tell you from driving a car with the AFX spindles thatthey absolutely work the way they said to, that car drove literally like it was on rails and it was awesome! I am taking my build to a notch above the car I am referring to with more upgrades, if this kit does in fact do even more than the AFX then it will be a consideration for me even though not having a sealed hub turns me off some because of current parts along with having to remove other previously purchased upgrades. South sides best bet at this point is to get some kits out there to guys that are competitive in the pro touring world and get some feedback posted on this site, turbobuick.com and the other pro touring sites. For the record, I am not that guy lol

scoti

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I hear ya on the cost of the AFX, they are pretty well a proven combo though. I am no expert but I have done allot more research on this stuff than most folks probably have and everything I have looked at in the past from all of the companies that are big in the game for g body pro touring style parts seem to thing that 1.4-1.5" height has been the key to fixing the geometry. I can tell you from driving a car with the AFX spindles thatthey absolutely work the way they said to, that car drove literally like it was on rails and it was awesome! I am taking my build to a notch above the car I am referring to with more upgrades, if this kit does in fact do even more than the AFX then it will be a consideration for me even though not having a sealed hub turns me off some because of current parts along with having to remove other previously purchased upgrades. South sides best bet at this point is to get some kits out there to guys that are competitive in the pro touring world and get some feedback posted on this site, turbobuick.com and the other pro touring sites. For the record, I am not that guy lol
He & I discussed the 'benefits' of the AFX's C7 sealed hub packs & he brought up a good point about the C7 having different weights @ the corners/spindle centerline vs a G-body (or other vehicle using C7 hub packs). That's a difference that needs to be considered when known (unknown) loading is forthcoming. I haven't done the math calcs (and would have to figure out what/how to do them first) to know what the margin of gain or loss is for bearing performance/life. In other words, a G-body w/a sbc getting pushed around the cones is going to have different loads vs a LS/rear trans-axle C7 so saying they're better w/o doing the math isn't correct. I haven't ever seen bearing comparisons so I surely don't know.

He did say the bearings used for their 'tall' spindle is over what g-body specs call for but again you'd have to do the math to know what that margin of gain is for bearing performance/life. *Hard numbers were not quoted during our discussion.

scoti

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
* PICTURES AND FULL CAMBER GAIN SPECS COMING SOON*
Are those camber specs available yet?
Would the 'dropped' version of this spindle utilize the 'drop-spindle' or 'stock style' spindle version of the 64-72 disc brake kits previously posted/linked (there seems to be a difference depending on which type of spindle)?
What Mopar upper BJ works for this spindle for those that already have aftermarket upper arms (SPC)?
Does the spindle/kit utilize standard 'A-Body' lower replacement BJ's?
Does the spindle/kit utilize standard 'A-Body' spec tie-rod ends? What about the center-link?
What are the specific benefits of the 'fast ratio' steering arms vs the standard arms?

Spring is here & I would like to start accumulating parts if I'm doing this swap. I like to purchase wearable parts locally to me so the info would help now (and for future service replacements).

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-Body Performance Upgrades

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

ContactAdmin@GBodyForum.comfor info on becoming a sponsor