G-body rack & pinion kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I haven't heard any good reports on a rack and pinion conversion. You can save herself alot of work and money by replacing your box with a borgeson delphi 600 box. It uses a servo instead of a recirculating ball so it's feel like a rack and pinion and from what I have heard it has a better feel than those conversion kits. The 600 box will cost less than half of the conversion kit and it is a direct bolt in replacement to your old box. I have a 600 box in my GP and I would not change it for anything.

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1382

Reactions: 1 user

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
I haven't heard any good reports on a rack and pinion conversion. You can save herself alot of work and money by replacing your box with a borgeson delphi 600 box. It uses a servo instead of a recirculating ball so it's feel like a rack and pinion and from what I have heard it has a better feel than those conversion kits. The 600 box will cost less than half of the conversion kit and it is a direct bolt in replacement to your old box. I have a 600 box in my GP and I would not change it for anything.

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1382

Hahaha! I had no intention of buying that rack & pinion! It's just the first R&P (that wasn't a manual, drag race only R&P) I've seen. I've been reading on other forums that the 600 box is on back order at many vendors (months wait!). Oh well, I'm a long way off for a steering box in my build. My curiosity is only in the technicalities (bumpsteer, ackerman, etc.). Really glad I got to talk to you again my friend!

Doug

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The 600 box won't affect bumpsteer or ackerman. The kit that you have in the link claims it will reduce bumpsteer but that cannot be said without knowing what angle the lower control arms are on. As for the ackerman I have not seen any spindles for a G body that have an adjustment to alter the ackerman. I have seen adjusters on go carts and on the pro late models I have built and crewded on. If you want to adjust the bumpsteer there is a center link that will adjust so you can keep the tie rods and lower control arm parallel

219KQYpET0L._SX450_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor