G body rallycross build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willyalexader90

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2020
I have been racing rallycross for a couple seasons now and my $700 subaru is probably not gonna last much longer. I have been thinking about building a g body this winter to run in modified rwd class. I want to keep it pretty basic. I have a good 355 and th350 to run. Suspension doesn't have to be too crazy. I planned on running a iroc camaro steering box. Probably throw a spool in it as well. I know there is some front suspension geometry that will be a battle. Does anyone have any advice on how to combat that for fairly cheap. There is a 84 monte carlo roller pretty close to me that I'm thinking about picking up.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
A 1" Taller lower ball joint will give you excellent suspension geometry and the ability to still run small wheels:

Speedway tall lower ball joint

This one change will provide the most bang for the buck in the front end.

The Tall lower ball joint will lower the front end, so swap in any of the stiffer, stock GM springs Like S10 or IROC convertible from the G-body spring chart.. These will raise the front end if they are uncut

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Willyalexader90

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2020
A 1" Taller lower ball joint will give you excellent suspension geometry and the ability to still run small wheels:

The Tall lower ball joint will lower the front end, so swap in any of the stiffer, stock GM springs Like S10 or IROC convertible from the G-body spring chart.. These will raise the front end if they are uncut
Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. Most people in rallycross run no front sway bar and add one to the rear. It helps weight transfer to the outside front tire and dig in for traction. Is there any factory rear sway bar options? Also is there any inexpensive shock options that would hold up off road?

Willyalexader90

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2020
Before putting in a rear bar, I think I would get an airlift G-body dual airbag kit for the rear. It will stiffen and slightly raise the rear and would give some tunability.
That sounds like a good option. I dont know if it will be in the budget for the first season but I will keep that in mind. Do you think boxing the control arms and putting urethane bushings in would be worth it?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
That sounds like a good option. I dont know if it will be in the budget for the first season but I will keep that in mind. Do you think boxing the control arms and putting urethane bushings in would be worth it?

If you use a stock location swaybar larger than stock, you eventually have to buy aftermarket LCA's, because the cups wallow out of the stock arms, even if they are boxed.

I recommend the airlift airbag setup because in the dirt, you may be able to get away with no sway bar which saves more money - no bar needed, no LCA mods needed. Stiffening the rear springs will help the car turn, especially if you have a tall spindle front end that goes to negative camber when loaded - the more you push, the harder it pushes back.

The stock front suspension geometry pushes back less, the harder its pushed. Its designed to be the pressure relief valve.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Do NOT run four urethane bushings in the rear. It will cause the suspension to bind during travel which it sounds like you will need a lot of. If you have some spare cash, see if you can UMI or one of the other suspension companies make you the rear trailing arms with heim joints on all ends.

Reactions: 1 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
The tall ball joints do not come with a dust boot.....there is a boot available but when it arrives it is very flimsey......I made my own from a modified CV boot, much better

Reactions: 1 user

Willyalexader90

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2020

Awesome! Most people in rallycross run no front sway bar and add one to the rear. It helps weight transfer to the outside front tire and dig in for traction. Is there any factory rear sway bar options? Also is there any inexpensive shock options t

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor