G Body Roof Seam

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario

It's not as extreme as the pic shows but is noticeable.

This is an uneven area top of driver's door to side window. The paint is not broken but it has the appearance of a rust bubble under paint. I assume this is how the roof is joined.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The picture is not very clear to show what you are talking about but I will say a rust bubble in the roof seam where the quarter panel and roof are joined could be hiding a serous rust issue underneath an uneven area would make me question if there was a previous repair there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Further info/observations/speculation;
Seller is the third owner, stated previous owner removed the stripes, there is wavyness in dr. side mid section door panel, the hood has very shallow irregular creasing front to back 2 -3" from the dr. side edge.
I suspect body work had been done to the driver's side many years back, stripes too costly to replace. There is honest wear and tear on the paint but impossible to say it's 20 or 30 year old paint. Chassis appears untouched. The only other rust bubble is at the windshield lower side frame 1/4" dia.

Current owner/seller worked for GM and said quality control was terrible when these cars were produced and they would allow body imperfections to pass.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
That area is prone to body flex also. There is a seam in that area for the roof to quarter panel as was said before if there is a rust bubble there, likely has a much worse rust problem behind it.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
That area is prone to body flex also. There is a seam in that area for the roof to quarter panel as was said before if there is a rust bubble there, likely has a much worse rust problem behind it.

Was that area ever smooth as it left the factory or is it a natural visual defect. I other words, are they all imperfect at that area?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
They are not all imperfect in that area. It sounds like that car has been hit and repaired.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The cars that had a vinyl top didn't get any smoothing in that area around the quarter windows even the cars without a vinyl top were not perfect, but some were better than others depending on who was doing the job that day.
Over the last 30+ years who knows if it has been wreaked, repainted, raced or what. Many of the G bodys I have worked on and parted out have had waves and filler cracking in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor