G-Body Run Channel Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Thanks Steve,

My bad, I went in to the index and looked again. Sure enough, the reason I didn't see reference to Malibu is because it's listed under Chevelle / Malibu. See Jack, you're not the only one. Not a lot for four doors but none the less they do have some parts for our cars. ...

Scott, ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :shock:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thank you for doing that leg work. I was posting in a thread a while back, Jack had some comments in there also, about this very same thing. You got a bit further than I did. I had the rear door window channels out, old ones but in good enough shape in spots to use them for reference. If my memory servs me right, they had 2 legs the same, and one leg was different. Similar to the front. I am in work now, and probably wouldn't be able to have a look at them or a few days.

I would be one of those 25 guys who buys some, lol. Saves me from doing it, <----ready busy or lasy.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
I had a little time this weekend (basically my *ss was draggin on Sunday because of the record heat on Saturday) that I decided to take some more photos , measurements and do a comparison of run channel materials on G-Body, specifically, OE Malibu run channel and Caprice. I thought I'd resurrect this thread with the hopes someone has an "in" with one of the companies that could make this stuff happen.

My opinion, I don’t think you can do better than the 1720 for the short side and top piece of the window. For all practical purposes it’s an exact match to the factory material.

On the other hand, the 1336 leaves a lot to be desired.

1336 compared to OE. OE is on the left.

1336 compared to OE. OE is on the bottom.

1336 compared to OE. OE is on the left

Again, my opinion, the 1395 is closer to the shape of the OE material but according to the dimensions, the 1336 is ½ inch high and the 1395 is 35/64 or a difference of 5/64 in height. Does that make a difference, I don’t know yet.

1395 Shape and Dimensions

Malibu Compared to Caprice

This is the material used on the Short Side and Top of the Caprice run channel. It's nothing like anything I've even found in the catalog.

OE Malibu Long Side

OE Malibu Short Side and Top

Malibu Measurement I

Malibu Measurement II

Malibu Measurement III

Caprice Measurement I

Caprice Measurement II

Caprice Measurement III

So, what does all that mean? In my opinion it means we're good as far as a perfect match for material on the short side and top. It also means however that we need to keep looking for a more suitable replacement for the long side and specifically a better option than the 1336. This is really stupid, I can buy front and rear run channel for just about any year four door Caprice but not for a G-Body. Do not get that at all.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :roll:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thanks for bumping this and posting that info. My wagons window runs are all deteriorated to the point I can't tell the shapes, lol.

In any case, this is something I will be trying to do in the coming months. :D

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
Thank you very much for your continued research and perseverance. I too had my doubts about the AS1336 channel. That one size was, and is my biggest concern. With you displaying them side by side, top to bottom confirms my doubts, and to continue to find a good replacement.
Does the Caprice long side, or upright channel, match the Malibu long channel? I even considered finding the appropriate year Caprice and pirating those pieces. But they're probably shot as well.
I was also looking at Restoration Specialties in Windber, Pa http://www.restorationspecialties.com/Products.html
They seem to carry a good variety of window run channel.

For the back door vent window strip. I was looking at the AS1198, which measures approx. 1/2" x 1/2".
Restoration Specialties sent me a sample of a piece that I thought would match the front door upright channel, but instead it matches the vent window upright piece. According to the description, it matches '68-'72 Nova vent window division bar original profile. http://stores.restorationspecialties.co ... Detail.bok

I was looking at this for the front door long side (vertical) http://stores.restorationspecialties.co ... Detail.bok

Tell me what you think, and what other possible choices look promising.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Nice Jack. I am gonna check those out now. I need to come up with something in the coming months for the Buick, since it will be painted at the end of the winter. I currently have no good run channel for it. :x

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
Are you anywhere near Windber, Pa? The reason I ask is because if you were, I'd send a few samples of my old run channel to match up. Otherwise I suppose I could send them a sample, and they could try to match it up.
I think we're getting closer to acquiring the right stuff.. Thanks to Scott for his all painstaking research. We appreciate it buddy.
Of course my old run channel is dried up, distorted, and hard as a rock. Unless you can match the pieces side by side, the measurements alone aren't totally accurate.
Scott has a few pieces of NOS OEM channel, which provides a better example to find a match.

Here's another one that I was looking at http://stores.restorationspecialties.co ... Detail.bok
There's no dimensions, unfortunately.

Looking through and comparing all the different examples can make a person daffy. :?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, that is about 3.5 hrs from me. Near family though that I have in Shippensburg PA. What is out there? I may have missed it, :?:

Also, yes Scott thank you buddy! The measurements are great too since the stuff from danno comes in 8 foot rolls. It will allow me to figure out what is need. Have we even got to the rear doors yet for a suitable part number from Danno? I have bits of my old dried out stuff to compare.

Jack, didn't we have a thread on MR started about this a while back?

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
We did have a thread started on MR about this. Not much input though...no surprise there :roll: I think Scott had even posted a link to this thread on GBF.

Here's another channel that I was looking at, and again, no measurements. http://stores.restorationspecialties.co ... Detail.bok

I think Restoration Specialties may be the answer. They've been in the business a long time, too.

Jim, as far the back doors are concerned, I think those should be fairly easy. The top and forward run is the same as the top and forward run on the front doors. The vent window divider channel is smaller. Restoration Specialties had sent me a small sample that seems to work in that channel. AS1198 might also be a match, I'm not 100% certain.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
That lask link looks preey good too. But like you said, there are no dimensions. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor