G-Body Run Channel Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Jack,

I need to measure the width of the channel where it will actually sit in the door frame. That's the one thing I didn't measure. The 1336 says it's 1/2 inch and the piece you've selected is 9/16. I'm not sure what kind of wiggle room we have to work with here but it looks like we need to find out. Not only on the width, but the height as well. If the material is too wide, it's gonna bind up when the glass is installed. By the same token, it can't be too narrow or it won't stay secure as it should. I've got a piece of OE out of my car and the new replacement. I've got the stuff in my office and will review when I get back on Thursday. ...

Your last entry looks like the Danno 1466, another possible alternative. ...

Can't be sure yet but I think this place has got the right stuff. 179996 is the closest I've seen yet to the OE piece I have. Oh, and look, it's for 77 and newer GM. ...

http://www.dkhardware.com/flexible-floc ... 0M0P1.html

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott my friend,
I think you nailed it with #179996. It has the staggered profile, which appears correct. If you look at the actual window frame/channel. One side appears higher, and one side lower. One strip will be more than enough to do both sides.
Thank you for posting the link. I think we have a winner here. :D

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Scott, that was a good find! I have the dooors to the wagon at home. I can measure the channel width and depth and see if I have an old crusty piece of run channel to measure. Like Jack said, I think we may have a winner! :D

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
I have a piece of old run channel accessible. I will also take a measurement of the window frame depth and width...and the old piece of run channel. I have a good feeling about this.
I'll post it this afternoon. Yahoo! :D

Scott did very well finding this source. Nowhere else have I seen this particular run channel indicated.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Longroof79 said:
Scott did very well finding this source. Nowhere else have I seen this particular run channel indicated.

Same here, and I googled till my fingers hurt, lol. I'll post my findings also, this way we are kinda of back-checking each others measurements.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott and Jim.
The window frame channel (on the door) measures approx. 1" (on the wider inner frame). 5/8" on the narrower outside frame). Frame width is 13/16" across the top bead, and 15/16" across the inner channel.

I took a rough measurement of the old run channel. I have 1" on the taller portion, 13/16" on the smaller portion. Approx. 11/16" wide on the lower width and 1" across the top width.

Here's a few rough profile shots of the channel: *please excuse the poor quality pics.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I ordered an eight foot piece of this stuff just now. Called and ordered it directly from, wait for it, .......Restoration Specialties. 814-467-9842. Jack, it was right under your nose the entire time. My dad always used to say, "two heads are thicker than one". My point being, the more people we have looking, the better our odds are.

Their part number AS1799. Interestingly enough, I came across a 2003 catalog still online. http://www.loco4fomoco.com/RestoSpecialty2003.pdf. Unfortunately, the prices have changed significantly since 2003. In 2003 an eight foot piece was eighteen bucks. In 2013 that same piece is twenty-nine bucks. The good news is, they have the stuff in stock. Said it takes about a week to Arizona. Well yeah, it's only the exact opposite end of the damn country.

OK, to recap, I believe we have the materials, at least for the front windows. I hate to assume but maybe someone can confirm if the rear glass uses the same components? That said, we need the glue to make the joint in the corner.

We also need the channel for the rear vent glass then we can start looking for the rear hatch glass weather-stripping.

Can someone please provide a cross section photo of the correct rear hatch glass weather-strip?

At this point I'm confident we'll find the General used preexisting and available styles of weather-strip, essentially not reinventing the wheel. ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: 8)

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
What can I say??....you da man. To be honest with you, I'd rather deal with Restoration Specialties than the other place.
I can't agree with you more regarding the "two heads are thicker than one" adage... :lol:
I don't know how I missed not seeing it in their online catalog. :?

At any rate, I am so happy to hear that they have it. I will also order a length of that as well, and order the AS1720 from Danno. It looks like we'll have the front doors covered. The back doors shouldn't be that difficult. The top and forward frame will use the same AS1720. The next step will be finding a proper fit for the vent window frame.
Infact, I actually did a bit of measuring today on that vent window channel.

Here's what I have: 5/8" width. and 1/2" depth. No staggered profile like the 1799, which should make it easier to find.
I measured the run channel as well. 1/2" tall. approx. 9/16" across the bottom, and 11/16" across the top ears, or flaps if you will.

As for the rear hatch seal, I'll get you a cross section photo for you. I actually have a nice rear hatch seal.
Dixie Monte Carlo used to carry the OEM hatch seals. This was several years back. They're also under new ownership, and probably no longer stock it. I think they only had a limited supply at the time.
I have been using a Plymouth Voyager/ Dodge Caravan rear hatch seal. The profile is different, but it works.
I used one from a '90's minivan, but I think the later 2000 series may actually be better. I'll have to peruse the junkyard again to do some comparison shopping. :lol:

Here's a few so-so pics of the vent window channel. Again, please excuse the substandard quality of the pics.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Scott, Jack, you guys are awesome. :notworthy: :notworthy: I never even got the car last night, had a side job till midnight to take care off. Payment was a brand new HF floor standing sandblast cab though.

Anyway, I have been using the mo-parts minivan rear seal for a few years on different wagons also. They work good. Downside is they don't have the "flap" that runs into the jamb like the factory. I also think I have my beat up old one somewhere, need to see if I can dig it out and take a look at it.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Thanks Jack,

A good friend of mine, who I miss dearly, used to say, " the impossible just takes a little longer". With the resources and dedicated people we have on this site, there's no doubt that we'll get this all sorted out. Probably will be just about the time the after-market kicks in. So be it. This is a perfect example of the kind of time a restoration takes on stuff that no one will ever even notice.

I'm sure I'd rather be half vast than half assed. ...

Scott, ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor