Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
I got to hand it to Scott. He's a man on a mission, and there's no stopping him. :lol: All kidding aside, I couldn't have done it without him. After a few mind reeling searches on the web, I would have probably given up, or settled for some ill fitting pieces.

My hatch seal is accessible, but my camera sucks bigtime. I'll try to take some pics of it. One seal that is next to impossible to find, would be the beltline seal across the top of the tailgate. Fortunately I have one that I found in the junkyard about a decade ago..along with the rear hatch seal, and window sweeps, which became hard and brittle over the years while in storage.
I don't particularly care for the original factory hatch seal design. The flaps, as you call them, seem to trap water, dead leaves,and muck, which has been responsible for the channel developing rust. From what I've found, the MOPAR seal actually seals, and works better than the OE seal.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
OK Guys,

I thought I'd add another piece of this process. I called Restoration Specialties back after I purchased my AS1799 and asked to speak with one of their technical people. The guy I got was Todd, so I asked Todd what they would use for adhesive to glue the corner joints together. Said he would throw a tube of the glue in with my order but it would need to be shipped UPS at that point.(can't be mailed). I agreed to pay for the UPS charge so we'll wait and see how it goes. Once I get it, I'll post comparison photos between the OE and the AS1799 as well as the adhesive.

Just want to make sure everybody gets the right stuff to do these. Rumor has it Jack's gonna start cranking these babies out and sell kits to the masses.

On another note, I'd like a photo of the beltline trim you speak of Jack. I got some real clear photos of your hand so I know your camera is capable of taking a focused photo. Try this, borrow one of the wifes white towels or maybe a carwash towel, wrap your hand in it and hold the moulding. The camera will then focus on the piece you're holding. ...

Scott, ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :rofl:

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
I've already placed an order online for the AS1799 channel. Would it presumptuous on my part to ask for a tube of adhesive? :idea:
I don't want to seem like I'm working in concert with you, Scott. It would obvious, two people placing an order for the same item the same day, only from opposite parts of the country both asking for a tube of adhesive... :wink:

I'd still like to see comparison photos of the OE and aftermarket materials. Once I receive all the assorted run channels, I guess we'll then figure out how we're going to piece it together.

Thanks for the tip on using a white towel wrapped around my hand. That should work. It obviously focuses on my hand, not what I'm holding. I'll try your theory tomorrow.

Was your car missing some weatherstrip pieces, like the tailgate and hatch rubber?

BTW, would 2- 8' lengths of AS1720 be enough to do the car, or would it be cutting it close?

Jack :D

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Jack,

Like I tell our customers all the time; "you're gonna get turned down a hundred percent of the time you don't ask".

I'm not sure I was smart enough at the time to save every piece of rubber I took off the car. I remember doing a survey and throwing stuff away that was obviously not usable. Never even occured to me then that I wouldn't be able to buy repop rubber. ....

Scott, ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :blam:

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
When I was taking my doors apart and peeling back all the old run channel, a little voice in my head told me not to throw anything away in case I would have to match it up with aftermarket stuff. Somehow I was thinking, due to the age of the car, these items would be no longer available from the General.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I kept chunks of mine, but not the whole thing from every door. They were in awful shape.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well I just received the piece of AS 1799 run channel. It's not what I expected, but it can be used. It's probably still the closest out there for that particular run. Once it's glued into place, it'll look like it grew there. :wink:
I'll try to post a pic of the new piece compared to the old.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Interested in the pics Jack! Then you could explain why it is not what you thought. :|

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Hey Jack,

What do you mean exactly, can you be a little more specific? I won't be home until Thursday night and won't get mail til Friday. Looked like a carbon copy in the photo?

Scott, ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :shock:

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
The profile is a bit different. I thought it was going to be "dead on", but it will work. The fit is a little funky...I'll show you later.

I ordered the AS 1720. That should be coming today. I also asked about the AS 1198 for the vent window frame. He's out of stock on that. I asked about getting a sample of it, and he said he would send a piece if he has any scraps.. so we'll see today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor