G Body Swap Headers For 97' Vortec 350 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

87vortecregal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 17, 2014
I am currently installing a 97 vortec 5.7 from a c1500 surburban, im having difficulties figuring out which inexpensive headers would be okay for this swap with no clearance issues.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The cheaper the headers the more problems with fitment you will have. The more expensive the headers the less problems you will have with their fit, you get what you pay for. These may be your best bet. http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/66601/10002/-1

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
any SBC header for a gbody will fit the vortec heads ( if that's your concern ). Are you looking for recommendations ? Do you want cat-back, shorty, or full length headers ? What is your HP goal for the motor and your budget ?

If you are switching from a cat-back system to full dual exhaust you will need more than headers. If your cat-back is fine then look for a set of used TES headers

87vortecregal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 17, 2014
Clone TIE Pilot said:
The cheaper the headers the more problems with fitment you will have. The more expensive the headers the less problems you will have with their fit, you get what you pay for. These may be your best bet. http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/66601/10002/-1

i was just thinking about some hedman headers! A friend of mine had a pair on a tbi chevy 350 in a 87 monte carlo ls and never caused any issues.

87vortecregal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 17, 2014
axisg said:
any SBC header for a gbody will fit the vortec heads ( if that's your concern ). Are you looking for recommendations ? Do you want cat-back, shorty, or full length headers ? What is your HP goal for the motor and your budget ?

If you are switching from a cat-back system to full dual exhaust you will need more than headers. If your cat-back is fine then look for a set of used TES headers

i'm aiming between shorty and full-length. This build is pretty much close to stock for now. In the future, i will be installing a new rotating assembly, lt4 hotcam, ls6 springs, comp cams retainers, and computer tuning. I would be fine in the 370 ish or 400 hp range.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
i just did this with a 98 suburban 350... UNLESS RUNNING FUEL INJECTION STAY AWAY FROM THE LT4 HOT CAM, it sucks on my carb setup... i went with eagle rotating assembly, that damn lt4 hot cam, flat top pistons, edelbrock etec 200 heads, vette springs, magnum push rods, 1.6 roller rockers, edelbrock performer rpm intake.... makes good power BUT that lt4 hot cam is a death blow... i used f-body headers, i think they were for a 3rd gen camaro, no fitment issues

Attachments

• CAM02101.jpg
    CAM02101.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 3,636

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
but, getting to the spark plugs sucks, #5 is damn near impossible to get to with fbody headers

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
BPTTONE420012 said:
i just did this with a 98 suburban 350... UNLESS RUNNING FUEL INJECTION STAY AWAY FROM THE LT4 HOT CAM, it sucks on my carb setup... i went with eagle rotating assembly, that damn lt4 hot cam, flat top pistons, edelbrock etec 200 heads, vette springs, magnum push rods, 1.6 roller rockers, edelbrock performer rpm intake.... makes good power BUT that lt4 hot cam is a death blow... i used f-body headers, i think they were for a 3rd gen camaro, no fitment issues

That is the first time I have heard of complaint about the LT4 hotcam, what is the matter with it? I know cams designed for EFI have a different specs than those designed for carbs.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
Clone TIE Pilot said:
BPTTONE420012 said:

That is the first time I have heard of complaint about the LT4 hotcam, what is the matter with it? I know cams designed for EFI have a different specs than those designed for carbs.

its just a performance robbing pos on a carb setup... i'm sure it would probably rip in an EFI setup, but its robbing too much power from my carb set up... dont get me wrong, i am not saying the lt4 hot cam is a bad cam, i'm just saying its wrong for MY set up... is my car still decent for a daily driver, sure it is, smoked an old porshe 944 the other day, thought the kid was gonna piss himself that my old chevy took him, but the lt4 cam leaves alot on the table...

87vortecregal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 17, 2014
BPTTONE420012 said:
Clone TIE Pilot said:
BPTTONE420012 said:

its just a performance robbing pos on a carb setup... i'm sure it would probably rip in an EFI setup, but its robbing too much power from my carb set up... dont get me wrong, i am not saying the lt4 hot cam is a bad cam, i'm just saying its wrong for MY set up... is my car still decent for a daily driver, sure it is, smoked an old porshe 944 the other day, thought the kid was gonna piss himself that my old chevy took him, but the lt4 cam leaves alot on the table...

I think the vortec 5.7 block did make a difference on power as far as camshafts go between carb and fuel injection. My friend is building a carbed vortec 5.7 for his customer in which he is going to bore .060 over, flat top pistons, top end kit (not sure what the specs are), hei distributor, headers, and a camshaft with .544 lift. We hope to see 425+ hp and 400+ ft-lb/tq

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor