G Body Tales... Lets hear them

Status
Not open for further replies.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
I have a few Gbody stories to share with you all but I'll start off with this one...

It was about the year 1989 In a littel town of Saint Just in Qubec one of my Uncles had a 1979-80 Malibu and was driving to go somewhere. Now in Qubec its not uncommon to drink and drive in these smaller towns becuase of the wide open long roads and lack of police. But on this unlucky night my uncle started a High speed police chace which also was not uncommon for these roads becuase most of the punks had modded cars that could out run the cops. In a few cases my uncle just simple got away and turned down dirt roads and flipped the light swtich off.. but on this unlucky night that was not the case. He got involved in a high speed chase and after about 30 minutes he was flying down the highway pushing that Malibu to the max and tryed to make a left towards his house and the car just slid right into a lightpole and just totaled the malibu the rear bumper was touching the front bumper the car was completely wrapped around the pole.

So let this be a lesson to never drink and drive

On a more positive note back when I was brought home after being born in 1993 I was brought home in our black 1984 Cutlass supreme :mrgreen:

Anyways mabey some others could pass down family Gbody storys or there own storys.

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
Ok so here is my story.

After my two year,5 state search for a clean straight malibu to fix up, I finally found one via a friend. Of course it was only 7 miles away tucked in a storage garage. Figures. I went out to look at it, a factory 4 speed, bucket seats, gauges, F-41 suspension, and the color I wanted. It was an original 305....what was in it when I bought it...who knows (sbc). I didn't care because I had other ideas. I bought the car the day before fathers day, took it home went around the block a few times, and then started to take her apart. By the next fathers day I took her back out with the 396/ M-21 combo now. After a few more months of tinkering, replacing the 10 bolt for a 12 bolt, some interior work, new gas tank, and some other nick nacks, I am getting closer to being done.

One afternoon, I received a phone call from a highway patrolman from South Dakota!!! He asked if I owned a 1980 malibu?? HMMMM, I said yes. Trying to recall if I did anything bad in South Dakota!! :twisted: He then proceeded to tell me he was one of the past owners of the car and wanted to buy it back. We talked a bit and I told him that it's not quite the same car it was when he had it last. He started to tell me how he aquired this car....

BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!

Here is the story. He bought the car sometime back in 1992 from a classmate. The classmates dad owned a towing and repair shop. One day they came across and abandoned car on the side of the road. They towed it off, and after waiting the proper amount of time they completed the abandoned auto paperwork they got a clean title and put a different motor in it...the one it had was junk. Hence the abandonment!! The classmate didnt like the car so he sold it to the HWY patrolman.

In 1993 he had a local guy paint the car and it didn't turn out the greatest...by 1996 he put the car in storage and rarely drove it.

In 2000 he decided to take it to a pro, and got it repainted. He removed the bumpers, taillights, headlights, grill assm. and other items to save a few bucks. Of course it took over a year to complete the paint job. He got it back late in 2001, winter set in and it went to storage. He never drove it in the rain or snow, and intended to fix up the interior and other needy items, but money always seems scarce.

In 2003 he was hired by the SD HWY patrol. Due to a new family, house, and other bills he decided to sell the car. He didn't mind selling to much, because it was for his family. But now (2011) after settling down and things are more under control he wanted to see if he could find his old car. So he contacted me and said he wanted to be first on the list of contacts when and if I ever sold it. He said he would pay what I wanted. I sent him to the link at youtube to show him how his car turned out. He said that didn't help....He wanted it more now!!! He said he was glad the car didn't get tore up and it seemed like it had a good home.

He sent me some picutes of the car in his driveway years ago and a few of it at the body shop. He also sent me the build sheet which he found under the seat. After taking the gas tank down years later I found the other copy. If that repair shop guy hadn't stopped and towed that car away....it would probably be a few six packs by now.

I was greatful that he took the time to send me a letter with pictures and talk with me about the car. It is nice to know the history of the cars as well. It makes me appreciate it even more. Well that is my story!!

topdog029.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

http://www.topdogpowdercoating.com

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Interesting thread! I was looking for a "cheap" car to drop a motor in and haul the family around until I get the funds to do my 68 Camaro. Scouring Craigslist I found a 1981 Pontiac Lemans Safari station wagon in Tulsa, Oklahoma. E-mailed the lady who owned it and I told her I would buy it provided I could find transportation back to Minneapolis. Quickly put an add up on U-ship and got several quotes for $800-$1200. I changed the add saying I was willing to pay $400. A guy heading this way from Texas responded saying he would do it for $425. I agreed. I sent $300 via Paypal to the the lady with the car. At worst if she screwed me over I am out $300.

The day the guy showed up to pick up the car she lost the keys. She called me and said that a lock-smith could come out and make a door key and an ignition key for $80. I told her I would pay it. (wouldn't get anyone in Mnpls to do it for 2x that $) The delivery guy waited to have the keys made. I sent her $80 more immediately via Paypal. Delivery guy showed up (this was 3rd week in January) and the weather was -17 F. Delivery guy handed me the title from her unloaded the car and also gave me $40 from her because she thought she should at least split the money it cost to get the keys made.

This process really restored my faith in people out there because there were so many ways I could have been out money in this transaction, but I wasn't. In fact it cost me less than I expected. So I ended up with a rust free station wagon from Oklahoma delivered to my door for $765 During the coldest week of the year by a guy from Texas. He couldn't believe how cold it was that day! :lol:

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
One I should've kept.

I was searching for my camera charger over the weekend and found a couple picturesof my Cutlass Salon, and figured I'd throw a little blip about it up.

After blowing up engine number 3 in the malibu, I needed wheels for the winter, it was October 2001 and time to put the malibu away anyhow. Looked around my local shifty lots and found a filthy old Cutlass, looked horrid from the road. I wasn't even going to look at it, but I couldn't help it :roll: . As I neared the car, I noticed bucket seats, saw the Salon nameplate (at the time was confused), seeing the ralley gauges, console shift, 15" SSIII wheels, only then did I notice, the lack of rust. I crawled around on the ground looking it over, it was about as rust free as my malibu. :shock: I opened the hood to see what was there, looked like a 231, ok not bad, so I went in to talk to the car dealer. He says $800, I say ok, can I hear it run? tosses me the keys, I hear it, sounds good, transmission worked, everything else checked out ok as well. The next day I showed up cash in hand, and brought my new piece home. To say the car was disgusting would be an understatement, inside and out it was filthy, years of grime (smokers car) was built up all over the interior, looked as though it had been years since it was even washed. After a good whole day of cleaning, I wound up with this:

021720136711_zpsf89eb7e4.jpg

I painted the wheels white, they were originally black.

Car was 50 footer, looked great, the white hid all most of the dents in it (there were plenty), but none the less a hell of a nice car, even the interior. Upon my cleaning antics, I was under the hood, and noticed it had a quadrajet on it :wtf:, as I poked around some more, I see a 4.1 cast into the block. Somewhere along the line of its 200k+ journey the stock engine and transmission were replaced, the 4.1 was backed by a th350. It had pretty decent get up for what it was, and got me from point A-B with little issues. I drove the car as is for almost 9 months, I got the malibu back up and going with a new engine, and parked the cutlass for next season. October 2002 rolled around, more bad news for the malibu, deer hit, I was pissed, not knowing how long it would be before I could find body parts to fix it, I yanked the engine and trans back out, and slid them into the cutlass. Drove the car for two years with the malibu's driveline, even though it was driven year round, car still looked great (was showing a few surface spots), and was a blast to drive.

To make a long story short, in 2005 I had to get rid of a couple cars, I had 4 in my parents driveway, my malibu, my first jeep with a smoked transmission, my cutlass, and a project jeep. My first jeep and Cutlass got the axe. Last time I saw the Cutlass, the heater box was smashed out of it, interior full of garbage/water/mildew, car sat wasting away into the mud, that was 6 years ago...

021720136751_zps66c8c384.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor