G Body Targa Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Has anybody ever seen a g body targa top or have any information on it? I've done some reading about sub connectors to strengthen the frame and what not but I would also get professional help on this. I would really like to do this. If I could have I would of gotten a t-top but I've put alot of money in my car and its coming along. Here is one I found that somebody did to a civic. If it can be done to a civic it can be done to the g body and safely.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/538193

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Pontiac made a one-only concept Grand Prix in 1980 with a targa top. Lord knows what strengthening they did for that!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, a G body already has it's subframes connected since it is a composite body on frame construction, not a unibody like the Mustangs and Civics you have seen. Even so, the connection is done with a somewhat flimsy C channel that may flex more without the roof to strengthen the body structure. You may be able to just replace all the body bushings with polyurethane to make things more solid. However, the best thing to do would be to box in the frame's C channel like GM did on the A body convertibles and some big block cars (like the Skylark GS) in the 60's and 70's. It would take some doing to make it work well in a driver quality car. Sealing it from rain, etc would be the biggest challenge, as even GM did not seem to be able to do this right on the factory T top cars in the 70's and 80's. For a show and occasional use car, you could get by with something that looks nice but does not function perfectly since it would be garaged most of the time.Just remember that water likes to go everywhere it can, and will find even the most minor of flaws in your sealing attempts. Go to the junkyard and look at a T top car to see what GM tried, and base your attempt on their work.

To look at a factory Targa top, go through the import section and try to find an old Porsche 914 or 911 from the 70's or 80's as all 914's and some 911's came with them. They were designed by Germans, so you know they probably worked. There were also some VERY rare Toyota Celica's and AMC Concord's with what I believe was called a "Sunchaser" top. In essence, it had a targa bar for a B pillar, with a removable section over the front seat, and a folding convertible top over the back. Then there is also the Fiat X/19 from the same period that also had a Targa roof. That's all of the factory targa roofs I can think of off hand that did not come on a Ferrari or a Corvette.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
hey i appreciate all the help. I was thinking that I would have to add another subframe connector to make it more stiff so it wouldnt flex as bad like if i was sitting on a hill or something and for safety. I will be driving this but I want to customize it and thats why the targa top interested me. I'm now even thinking more on the lines of a convertible but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor