G80 rear end lubricant recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyArmy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2018
I am looking for some recommended rear end lubricants for the G80 Posi rear end? I have no idea when it was last changed so I want to service it before summer. I have a 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix. Thanks in advance.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I’ve been using valvoline 75-90 oil with the additive in it already. It should say it on the back of the bottle for limited slip rears.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
GM part # 88900330 for the 4 oz. bottle of GM limited-slip additive. Around $10 or so wherever you can find it. For a baseline, GM list price is $13.46

Valvoline 975-12 is a synthetic 75W-90 gear lube with limited slip additive already in it supposedly. That's all fine and good, but if it's not enough, you'll still need to add more additive. Around $10-12 bucks/quart and you can get this at all the auto box stores.

Mobil 1 has an almost-equivalent with LS 75W-90, but it doesn't make any limited-slip claims. Maybe a buck more than the Valvoline.

The GM equivalent of the stuff above is HD gear lube quart 75W-90 under GM part # 88900401. List price is $29.34. Like the Mobil 1, it doesn't make any limited-slip claims.

In my experience with limited slip rears, having a bottle of additive on hand just in case isn't a bad thing. My 85 442 came from the factory with none or very little. Day 1 I was driving around with the chunk chunk chunk going around nearly every corner. Went back that day and complained, they put a bottle of additive in and everything was good.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

FlyArmy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2018
Thank you for the replies. I hope to get it done this week. It looks like the Valvoline synthetic will be the way to go with some additional limited slip additive if needed. Question is...can you add too much additive? Will this hurt the limited slip? Thanks again.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
"Auburn recommends using Auburn limited-slip additive (#504102) with a high-quality non-synthetic 80W 90 hypoid oil"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor