Gages not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
My 81 Malibu has the optional Gage Package. The temperature gage and the volt gage will not budge, (even when power is supplied and grounded). The gas and volt gages work.
The car has a Vortec 350 with a Holley on an aluminum manifold.
Any suggestions?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My 81 Malibu has the optional Gage Package. The temperature gage and the volt gage will not budge, (even when power is supplied and grounded). The gas and volt gages work.
The car has a Vortec 350 with a Holley on an aluminum manifold.
Any suggestions?

ground the green wire on the sender and the gauge should go to hot...if it goes to hot the sender is the problem. .I'll take a guess you meant the oil pressure gauge isn't working....make sure the wire is attached to the sender and if it is you can check the sender with a multimeter

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
ground the green wire on the sender and the gauge should go to hot...if it goes to hot the sender is the problem. .I'll take a guess you meant the oil pressure gauge isn't working....make sure the wire is attached to the sender and if it is you can check the sender with a multimeter
Thanks, I’ll let you know any progress.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Always better to use a test light with a bulb as that adds some resistance when you are grounding a sender wire

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
All the gages are working, however the speedo is WAY off. Part of the reason the speedo is off is because it has a 3:73 rear end and a 400 turbo.
Plus, half the needle is broke. I'm not too fond of the 85 mph. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor