Gas gauge problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlaw02

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2018
i have a 79 el Camino I just bought Sunday and the gas gauge is sitting on Empty with gas in it and not sure how to fix it does anyone know how to fix it

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ

84slow

Greasemonkey
Feb 6, 2017
Ontario.Ca
Welcome to the forum... Check the ground cable by the tank or the float may be busted... Good old gm gas gauges lol I used to get a true reading of fuel when I was on the gas

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You can test the sender by disconnecting the pink wire at the connector near the tank and the gauge then should read full if the problem is the sender. If it still on empty then disconnect sender terminal wire at dash gauge. If gauge now reads full, the wire to the sending unit is shorted to ground. It is a pink wire that runs all the way to the front.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor