Gas gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Bodydude1983

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2018
Not a real problem but whenever my gas gauge reads empty I still have roughly 5-6 gallons left in the tank it’s a (18 gallon one if I remember right) just wondering if this is a common think with g body’s.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Throw a 5 gallon can in the trunk, and run it dry. The needle drops pretty far below E (which stands for Entertaining the thought of getting gas). Bonus points for using the trip odometer to find the mileage range.....

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I have owned about 6 G-Bodies over the years and on two of them the gas gauge read wrong.
One of the problems can be overfilling the tank and messing up the float apparatus in the tank.
Another problem I had was that the float in the tank cracked and had enough gas in it to make it heavy.
It road low in the tank and showed the tank empty when it wasn't.
I have also had the gas gauge problem with a couple of mid 70s to early 80s Chevy pickups.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor