REGAL Gas in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbrick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2021
What's up ya'll! I'm new here from Ontario Canada. I have an 85 Regal Limited with an 80's 350, with vortec heads and a mild cam from what the previous owner said. The carb is a Holley 750 vacuum secondary. Aaaaaaand it won't start..... I was messing around with the carb and was having issues starting it. My completely genius brain decided to shoot carb cleaner down the air bleeds while it was still mounted on the poor engine. After cranking and adjusting and cranking and adjusting the carb.......🤦🏼‍♂️I'm pretty sure I flooded it in the process. I checked the oil and it smelled like gas, it was way over filled on the dipstick reading. The oil was black after just changing it not even a day ago. Fast forward, I changed oil again and I check compression. My lowest reading was 120 on one cylinde, but the rest came back at 150 - 180. (No I did not take note of what cylinder read what number). I'm going to throw new sparks in it with a smaller carb. Is it a huge deal that my compression readings aren't consistent? Help!

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Welcome ,
Where in Ontario are you ?

a 750 on a 350 maybe a little large.
what are your goals for it ?

Reactions: 1 user

Gbrick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2021
Welcome ,
Where in Ontario are you ?

a 750 on a 350 maybe a little large.
what are your goals for it ?
Yeah it's massive. My goals are to get it running again and get rid of any flat spots without fouling all the plugs. Im just thinking to go down to like a 650 or 600 Holley or something.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Gas getting into the crankcase from a leaking fuel pump diaphragm?

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
120lbs of compression is trouble. But if the car has been sitting for a long time, then it could be a valve not sealing well. But it seal up after it runs for 30-60 seconds.

Do you have spark? Where is the base timing at?

Gbrick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2021
120lbs of compression is trouble. But if the car has been sitting for a long time, then it could be a valve not sealing well. But it seal up after it runs for 30-60 seconds.

Do you have spark? Where is the base timing at?
Damn... I thought 120 is normal for these engines. I do have spark and I think it has 10 degrees of timing in it give or take. I'm not 100% sure.

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Even if the 750 carb is too big it should still start and idle. If you are at 10 degrees BTDC or close it should start or last be firing.

Is it firing at all or just cranking?

If it's firing but just won't idle try adjusting the timing while someone is cranking it. Might also have to try to lean out the idle circuit if you're getting that much gas in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor