Gas pedal adjustment - for short people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Ok I'm short. 5'4". I can reach the pedal but I'd be more comfortable if the seat was a little back so I wasn't cramped on the wheel. Anyway I see that the pedal is almost sitting on the floor but I can lift it a good 4-5 inches, then it settles back. So I'm guessing there is an adjustment somewhere that I can get the pedal to stick out further. Is there a way adjust the gas pedal so it doesn't sit so close to the floor, but it still needs to be safe?

Thanks in advance.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The gas pedal is bolted directly to the firewall. You might be able to attach a plastic spacer to the pedal otherwise there is very few options.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
The gas pedal is bolted directly to the firewall. You might be able to attach a plastic spacer to the pedal otherwise there is very few options.
The base is attached but the linkage is attached to a bar/pole of some kind at the top of the pedal that goes through the firewall. If I lift the pedal that bar has some play to it, maybe 4 inches. Maybe I need to attach a photo. On the other hand there might be a nothing I can do.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am 5'5" and I moved the seat forward. I used a LeSabre power seat base so it just normally went farther forward than most manual seats. Then there is this.
8e83116d81556c267156a556c2c5a875.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I am 5'5" and I moved the seat forward. I used a LeSabre power seat base so it just normally went farther forward than most manual seats. Then there is this.
8e83116d81556c267156a556c2c5a875.jpg

Did you make that with your Meccano set ???
LOL
Guy

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I can reach the pedals, but it puts me really close to the steering wheel and the sideview mirror is on my shoulder. In modern cars I can adjust the pedals back and forth, but also adjust the steering column up/down and in/out along with the seat to set up a really comfortable position. In my 84 the wheel tilts and the seat moves but that's it. I'd like to pull back from the wheel a little and it would be great if I could compensate by moving the pedals forward. I'll keep exploring this.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
On a more serious note what you're encountering is a fundamental difference in technology and design of an older car/truck.

Modern cars are called "drive by wire"... you push a pedal, a sensor takes a reading, communicates through a computer and tells other parts to do stuff.

Older cars are cable driven. The geometry of the setup matters. On the old car you press the pedal, it tugs a linkage or cable, and that tugs some lever making something happen.

Point is, on a new car the relative position of pedals do not matter. All that matters is that the distance of travel gets measured and communicated.

On an older car angles, distance, and geometry of the levers and cables matter. It's not about measuring distance of pedal, it's about physically tugging things in the car to make it work.

Thats why adjustable pedals are more commonplace now, but a bigger undertaking in something older.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor