Gas pedal worn out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
Hi all, small but very annoying problem here.
Ever since I bought my Monte about 3yrs ago, I've been dealing with the gas pedal having this 'gritty' feel to it. At first I thought it was just the TV sticking in the bore of the trans, but it kept on happening after a new trans & TV cable. Then I thought that maybe it was the carb,I changed carbs a couple times for other reasons and that was part but not all of it. Then one day recently I took a look at the gas pedal for S's and G's. The original plastic carrier the shaft passes through has been worn down some, and the metal retainer plate is a little bowed out, so there is a decent amount of play in the shaft. Just to see what would happen I put some spray lubricant on it and sure enough nearly all of the binding went away, but the lube only lasts about a week tops and didn't totally get rid of the binding sensation. Is there a way to install bushings in the pedal mechanism, or is there anyone selling a replacement pedal assembly out there?

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Hi all, small but very annoying problem here.
Ever since I bought my Monte about 3yrs ago, I've been dealing with the gas pedal having this 'gritty' feel to it. At first I thought it was just the TV sticking in the bore of the trans, but it kept on happening after a new trans & TV cable. Then I thought that maybe it was the carb,I changed carbs a couple times for other reasons and that was part but not all of it. Then one day recently I took a look at the gas pedal for S's and G's. The original plastic carrier the shaft passes through has been worn down some, and the metal retainer plate is a little bowed out, so there is a decent amount of play in the shaft. Just to see what would happen I put some spray lubricant on it and sure enough nearly all of the binding went away, but the lube only lasts about a week tops and didn't totally get rid of the binding sensation. Is there a way to install bushings in the pedal mechanism, or is there anyone selling a replacement pedal assembly out there?
I have a pedal assembly from a 79 cutlass. I’ll get it out on Sunday if you don’t find one by then.

Reactions: 1 users

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
I have 4 of these pedal assemblies. All came from either 1978 or 79 Cutlasses. Let me know if you're interested in one.
DSCN0991.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor