Gas tank for LS swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I do not have the original tank anymore. It is an 87 GN.

How about a replacement tank from Tanks Inc or Holley. Then what are my pump options?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Walbro 450 or 525 for an NA car. Holley has pumps as well, but the reviews are not super.

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Spectra GM307C is the replacement tank for the factory 84-87 Turbo Buick baffled tank. The best intank pumps I have found have been the ones from Racetronix as sold through Full Throttle Speed.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Tanks Inc, Spectra, holley all have repop 'baffled' GN EFI tanks. I have seen photos that show a OEM GM tank has better baffling than a spectra tank but I've never had an issue with my spectra. As long as you aren't dumb and don't autocross at 1/8 tank you are fine with the spectra.

I have no way to validate this but I ASSUME all the tanks are stamped in the same place. Holley/Tanks Inc likely would not have spent the tooling to make an entirely new tank. The tanks inc one has a separate insert in the stamping tooling to use aftermarket senders/level sensors but from everything that I can tell it's the same thing.

I know 100% the spectra tanks have issues with air discharge during fillup. Not sure about the holley tanks but it's probably all the same manufacturer of the stampings and it just gets relabeled.

If you have access to an OEM GM tank it's often better to keep the old filler neck and solder it to the new tank. I've done it with both my EFI swaps and had no issues with alignment or burping fuel on fillup.

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Tanks Inc, Spectra, holley all have repop 'baffled' GN EFI tanks. I have seen photos that show a OEM GM tank has better baffling than a spectra tank but I've never had an issue with my spectra. As long as you aren't dumb and don't autocross at 1/8 tank you are fine with the spectra.

I have no way to validate this but I ASSUME all the tanks are stamped in the same place. Holley/Tanks Inc likely would not have spent the tooling to make an entirely new tank. The tanks inc one has a separate insert in the stamping tooling to use aftermarket senders/level sensors but from everything that I can tell it's the same thing.

I know 100% the spectra tanks have issues with air discharge during fillup. Not sure about the holley tanks but it's probably all the same manufacturer of the stampings and it just gets relabeled.

If you have access to an OEM GM tank it's often better to keep the old filler neck and solder it to the new tank. I've done it with both my EFI swaps and had no issues with alignment or burping fuel on fillup.
I don't think it's the filler neck, I think is the roll over valve in the sending unit. I just drilled mine out and it made a huge difference.

• Informative

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
I just did another tank for a cutlass today Walbro 450 fits with no issues in the tank just use a Buick regal sending unit I find it the easiest way and cheapest way to do it with no issues 45 min job at most

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
Here’s a kick *ss fuel pump set up , Just recently released

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The dual 450 can support a lot of power, that's what I have, albeit home made

But I don't understand
a) how do you get 2 pumps through the tank hole at the same time when 1 barely fits
b) there's no way that fits under the stock trunk without cutting the floor, I had to dent one of the reinforcement ribs in the trunk floor to fit 2 -6 feed lines coming out of the tank. I fail to see how a -10 fits

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor